Can You Use American English in Your UK Exams? - Shani's Tutoring

@Bloggers come check this out it’s another blog post :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Okay I read this and like at the end you (as in Shannii) said basically don’t switch between the two
But like
Canadian English is best described as constant switching between the two :walking_woman:t5:
Like I’ve never spelt colour without the u but I’ve also never spelt realize without the z, and there’s so many other examples
So I know a friend who wants to take one of those tests to get into school in the UK and what, should I tell her that she should learn one fully or something?

2 Likes

I recommend sticking to British English if she’s going to go to the UK! Might as well get used to it now!

2 Likes

But like would she be penalized if she doesn’t recognize some words as having an alternate spelling, and so using the American one?

1 Like

Yeah consistency is the most important thing, to be honest! As I said, for degree stuff, universities don’t have to follow government guidelines in the same way! It would be in a case-by-case basis! However, it is good to get into the practice of using British English just in case!

2 Likes

So yeah. If someone were to mostly use British English and sometimes use American, it could be an issue. They shouldn’t lose too many marks, though!

Saying that, this is mainly for essay subjects! In particular, studying English in the UK!

2 Likes

Okok thanks
And so I’d assume that using an exclusively Canadian spelling would be just as bad yeah? Like yogourt instead of yogurt or yoghurt for example

2 Likes

Yeah I think that would be considered a spelling error here in the UK! We only seem to accept American and Australian spelling variants. Even then, that’s only in international exams!

2 Likes

Oh My-! I love it. Not only was that a great article, but the conversation on the thread was really interesting. (wink)

1 Like

omg wait I’m back a thought occurred to me
So I get that British spelling and grammar (which is a separate tangent in my mind I didn’t even know there were grammatical differences omfg) is a must but does the same apply to British vocabulary?? Like flat vs apartment and all of that??

That’s less important! It’s highly unlikely that you’d be put into a situation in an English or History or Drama etc exam where the differences between vocabulary will matter

1 Like