Children shouldn’t be allowed cell phones until they are over 18. Agree or disagree?

I think people focus way too much on taking things away from teens and restricting things. They will find a way to bypass a lot of the things we put in place for them if they really want to. Then, they’re left with the feeling that we don’t trust them, which might make them rebel further.

Education is always better than restriction imo

7 Likes

I found a way to get around the restrictions on my phone a few years ago lmao, like the one where I couldn’t use my phone after 10pm and the other where I couldn’t use youtube because I was 12. :joy:

3 Likes

I feel like my parents don’t trust me but I’ve given them no reason to doubt me so - :no_mouth:

3 Likes

I think it should be at age 14 (which is when I got my phone. ) if I wanted to use a phone I would just use my moms phone, watch TV or play video games like the DS. I think getting a phone earlier would make the kids attention stay only on their phone. If they need it for safety then it should only be for calling when walking home or calling their friends.

1 Like

Totally agree with this!

2 Likes

I completely disagree. I think teens at least should be trusted enough to have a cell phone, computer, etc… for one you kinda need it for school, for safety reasons… etc. And if you’re just saying this because “teens are addicted to their phones” I think that technology can be an extremely good tool for a lot of issues. It’s a good distraction from real life things.

2 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

I disagree, considering today’s standards and how dependent we are with modern technology. Although I do agree that children below 7 years old shouldn’t be given one yet because dependency on mobile phones at a young age can affect their cognitive process (according to some studies). Some studies said that children who are exposed to smartphones at a very young age have shorter attention spans compare to others.

As for children above 7, I personally believe that they’re already old enough to have a phone. But instead of giving them a smartphone, I think it’s better for them to have a flip phone because there’s nothing else they can do with it aside from texting and calling. But at the end of day, it always depends on the child. I had my first phone at the age of 7, because I needed it to contact people in case of emergency. And then I first had my own smartphone at the age of 11. Having a cellphone is a necessity nowadays, and I don’t think it’s wise for parents to wait until 18 before giving their child one.

5 Likes

I think that it depends on the child… I know some people who I would definitely not give a phone before they’re adults, because they’re very irresponsible and could put themselves and others in danger, so I think they should either not have a phone so early or be taught how to be more responsible on the internet. But some other people are really responsible and smart enough to not put anyone in danger or reveal too much information on the internet, so I think it’s okay if they get a phone when they’re younger as long as the parents make sure that they don’t get addicted to it. :eyes::sparkles:
In general I think that children should be allowed to have phones when they’re a bit older (so around 11/12), but that their parents should educate them about online safety, so they won’t get into a dangerous situation. But I still wouldn’t get them the most expensive phones because kids tend to lose things a lot :eyes::eyes::green_heart:

Do you think that you would allow your own child to have a phone before 18?
How would you make sure that they’re safe? :eyes::sparkles:

(Added #technology tag :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:)

1 Like

I definitely disagree with this statement. I don’t see how not having a phone until age 18 benefits anyone.

Any more opinions?

3 Likes

My sister got one at 12.

My sister got one when she turned 8 last year. This generation is moving too fast IMO :eyes:

I actually had my first keypad phone when I was 7. And that was like, 12 years ago. :joy:

I got my phone last year when I turned 16. My school thinks that 16 is the right age to get a phone. Before that, the 16-year-olds’ minds are too “soft” and can’t make decisions and the “rays” from smartphones trigger their “immature” brains just like drugs do to a substance abuser :woman_shrugging:

So before that, I used to access the forums under with parents’ permission using laptop.

I completely disagree. It really depends on the child and if they’re responsible and educated enough to have a phone. If they’re educated and responsible, you don’t need restrictions set upon them. It would be an invasion of their privacy. I’m still a teenager, about to enter my adult years and I would absolutely hate it if my parents were to set restrictions. Setting restrictions doesn’t change their behavior, hw they see things, or how they’ll handle a phone other than blocking them from curiosity, and maybe even build resentment. You have to teach so they understand instead of restrict without educating. If they choose to choose a phone over their assignments, then I can see why a parent would restrict or take the phone away. However, it’s better to teach your child time management, educate them on the potential dangers and how to use a phone, and set boundaries without invasion of privacy

2 Likes

Phones also help a lot with emegency situations. When your child is entering puberty, they will become more reckless and curious, and prone to putting themselves in situations where they can get uncomfortable. They need contact with a trustworthy person in situations where they are vulnerable

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity :innocent: