Children shouldn’t be allowed cell phones until they are over 18. Agree or disagree?

In reality, there are disadvantages and advantages to this. The disadvantage is that people under 18 would get to attached to the phone and not explore different things going on in the environment. Also, in case of an emergency alone, the child/teenager doesn’t have a cellphone to contact anyone, and their safety is in danger. So, in my opinion. I disagree with this statement because it can cause a lot of harm but we just need to teach others how to use our time wisely.

This also goes back to the voting thing, where people think only people that are 18 and above can do whatever they please.

@Discussions, what are your thoughts?

7 Likes

I think they should have a restricted phone that doesn’t allow them to connect to certain sites, make phone calls to people not in their contacts list, and blocks certain apps for their children. Other than those reasons I think they should be allowed a tablet, iPod touch, or other items like that.

2 Likes

I completely disagree! For starters, cell phones and smart phones aren’t exactly the same, but if you let a kid have a computer or other similar device, why not a smart phone? However, being able to contact people is incredibly important, which is why I think that they should at least be able to have a phone. Also, everyone under 18 is such a large group, so I’m not sure I’d even want to say that children under 18 shouldn’t be allowed to have smart phones as a blanket rule

5 Likes

I have one because I catch a public bus and sometimes my mum cancels on us and I have to go to dad’s or I will have to meet my dad somewhere and not catch the bus. So it’s just a safety thing for me

2 Likes

Disagree… they should be allowed to have one before 18 because they might need to contact their parents during an emergency, and use it to communicate, but parents should set up limitations and restrictions to ensure that their children use it responsibly.

5 Likes
  • Strongly Agree
  • Agree
  • Neutral
  • Disagree
  • Strongly Disagree

0 voters

2 Likes

I disagree with this. I got my first cellphone when I turned thirteen, so I would’ve been in 7th grade. It was really helpful because that was the year I started going to a sleepover camp and I could use it to call and say good night to my parents. It was also helpful when I started high school because I could go out with my friends or go to school dances and be able to text my parents for a ride home. I also think that in this day and age, getting your first cellphone is a sign of independence and it shows you that your parents trust you enough to have one.

6 Likes

I strongly disagree with the statement. Childeren should be allowed to be able to have a cellphone before they are 18 .Having a cellphone is the best way to commiunicate and not only for just emergency situations, but it’s just a great way in general to comminicate with othera .Wheter that is to notifiy your parents because you decided to stay over at a friends house for dinner or just ask one of them to come and pick up you up from a party.

I for example got a smartphone when I was around 10 years old which some might consider a bit early,but it was also around the time I started going to school on my own.So my mother gave me my first smartphone to make sure I made it home safely while she was at work or that I even reached my school to begin with.

My parents also got divorced around the age I was 12 and my father literally moved across the country . So the only way I could still try to have relationship with him was by texting him through my smartphone.Because at that time I would have been too young to make a Facebook account or even send him an e-mail.

2 Likes

God no

4 Likes

Obviously not. Children should be teached to use their cell phones wisely. I also belive that just taking phones away from children wouldn’t really solve the issues they might face. For example: when i got my first phone (and access to the internet) my parents’ biggest concern was that I might start talking to someone and that they would convince me to meet up with them and potentially put me in danger. The main issue was that I was extremely gullible. Taking my phone away would expose me to less people,yes, but it wouldn’t solve the main issue

5 Likes

Depends on the child and their maturity, not necessarily their age. :eyes:

1 Like

Disagree.

My partners mother had cancer :pensive: when he was growing up and he had a phone to keep in touch with her while she was in hospital. He wouldn’t of been able to be there for her last moments with out it.

With restrictions I will give my monsters a phone when they stay at someone else’s house.

3 Likes

BIG DISAGREE! And no restrictions on the phone :smiley:

3 Likes

I think SOME restrictions are necessary

4 Likes

Well, I guess some are necessary. But as long as the child is responsible they don’t really have to be supervised :thinking: I wouldn’t like my parents to look through my phone and browser history and monetize every app I download and what time I use it. However, if it affects school or if the child does something clearly wrong or even illegal they probably need more supervision. So I guess it depends from child to child and that there are restrictions (but they maybe don’t have to be monetized all the time). I just don’t like the apps I’ve seen people use to control their children’s phones. :laughing:

3 Likes

Im not saying that parents should control their children’s phones. I was talking about stuff like: their personal social media accounts should be private, they shouldn’t say their age or any very personal information and they shouldnt tell anyone their location

4 Likes

Yeah, or they should be taught how to use their phones and being responsible and stuff. Although, social media accounts doesn’t have to be private and I think that they could tell their personal location and stuff depending on how they use their accounts and with who they’re interacting with. Most people I know have their name, school and age on facebook but they wouldn’t tell that to strangers on a forums like ShanniiWrites. So it depends and they should know when to reveal what to stay safe.

3 Likes

Yeah, i was saying that if they are posting pictures of their faces and stuff their account should be private

2 Likes

Well, yeah, depends on their age and stuff, but I agree with that in most cases for children :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly, it’s not like I’m hiding anything but that is invasion of personal space

3 Likes