Collaboration Woes

Mood can be rather important when it comes to writing. So, it’s not that I’m feeling a “writing block”…I want to write and have plenty of direction in 2-3 different stories with which to write…but, my motivation keeps taking big hits (and by ‘big hits’ I mean, it keeps getting pummeled down every time my ‘motivation’ keeps trying to get back in the boxing-like ‘fighting ring.’).

My biggest torment right now are a few of my collaborations (@RainbowCat, if you’re reading this, I’m not talking about ours at all…that collaboration couldn’t make me happier). Let me say that I am usually the first one to praise and give shout-outs to any person who has either collaborated with me or helped me in any way on a story. I am the happiest when I am able to discuss story details with my collaborators and whenever they put their full trust in me to never post anything before they completely agree with whatever I’ve written.

There was a time in the past where my older friends would be able to chip in and write scenes for the story, as well. Those were wonderful times. I look back and some of those chapters were so seamless that you couldn’t tell who wrote what unless you referred back to the conversations and notes. I mean, I even forgot how many plot bunnies I really contributed (which are way more than I thought, but that’s neither here nor there).

HOWEVER, these days, I have been putting in about 90-95% of the writing on a story that was evenly 50/50…and to this day, there are readers that don’t give any of my other personal stories or collaborations a chance, narrowing single-mindedly on just the collaborations with the writer that can’t put in 50% anymore. Literally the last 13 chapters were 95% written in my style, from my suggestions…hell, all of the final chapters on all our stories were 95% in my style, and from my suggestions.

But, I still get comments like:

• Has [Collaborator’s name’s] account been deleted? I wanted to reread a story you two wrote together, but I can’t their account anymore? - Answer: She’s never had a separate account, she merely trusted me with our work and gave me permission to post it.

• So I know you said updates are still random but do you think it will at least be less than a year till the next update? - Answer: Technically, I could push through to the end of the story without the collaborator’s input, but that would leave me feeling dry and empty inside.

So, I try to suggest for them to read my other completed collaborations and personal stories, but they just don’t bother with them. :woman_facepalming:t4: Why am I here? Why do I even bother to try to wrap up those collaborations when I can barely get 5% out of the co-author and the readers seem to only be reading the stories for the collaborator’s writing style, instead of mine? I can’t force her to write when she doesn’t want to!

This has happened before time and time again throughout the years. Friends that got bored with our collaborations and didn’t want to put in their part to bring the stories to an ending. These days, I actively have most of the creative control on collabs on purpose just to ensure that I can end the stories on my own terms, whenever I want, without feeling guilty about it and without having to wait on their input (the collaborators always have a say in anything they want to change before the final version is posted, though, because I’m not a total jerk).

But, as of right now, my mood is shot on that series.

3 Likes

…but, I think I’ll do what I can to end it, and the other “floating” collab just so that I am free from that responsibility and can work on other things at my own pace. Fuck it.

3 Likes

Ugh yeah that sucks. I write by myself lol, I’ve tried writing with others but it just never worked out. I mainly just have a writing group for like support lol.

2 Likes

Yes, I just love creating projects with my friends (especially when our time lines up and we can talk back and forth about things freely). I still write stories on my own on the side and seek help whenever I get stuck with them, but it’s not the same as two different styles of writing merging together into one. I really miss her writing style, too.

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity