College and anxieties

I had my first day of college today and honestly I’m not done with the day yet but the morning so far has been beyond rough. For the record I came from a very small grade school that fed into a very small Jr. Sr. High school literally right next door. So I’ve always been to school and almost everyone has always know each other. I started today and insisted of feeling really good about school like I had every year prior I was pretty panicked. I drove the hour to campus this morning because school covid guidelines say I live to close to live on campus. I’m at school in the parking lot at 7:00 am and I already feel a panic attack coming on. I haven’t had a panic attack since I was 13 so it’s been a while. I do have social anxiety and I’m not great with new situations so I kind of expected this bit still threw me off. The rest of the day so far hasn’t been much better. Not only do I feel alone but outcast as well I’m significantly the youngest in all of my classes. Two sob sessions in the bathroom and hiding out in a corner all by myself in the library durring my 2 hours between class and here I am. I just want to know if there is any tips anyone has to help. This sucks and if it always feels like this the rest of the year I’m honestly not sure if I can do this. Please help.

6 Likes

In terms of tips (because I’ve had the same issues) I’d honestly just say to stick with it :blush: it won’t be like this everyday, eventually you’ll get into a rountine and you’ll make friends with people, I can guarantee you aren’t the only person there who is feeling the way you are, you can get through this, maybe see if your college has any support for new students, if you have social anxiety then I’m sure there’ll be a good support system in place and they will be happy to try and help you out.

(Also I added some tags and moved categories)

2 Likes

@Advisers :eyes:

1 Like

I would say to see if your college has any support programs that pair up first-year students with upper-year students. Having someone you can go to who knows the school and has been in your place before might be helpful for curbing some of your anxiety.

(I’m also in the same position since I’m going into my first year of uni, so feel free to message me if you ever want to talk about stuff)

2 Likes

My college has a system where they pair up freshmen with older students (peer advisors.) It’s my first year too, but I’m doing it online. I’m still nervous, though. I would say to find an older student to talk to about your fears or someone close to you who’s in college.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much. Eleanor I really needed to hear what you had to say this morning it made a lot of difference actually.

Caticorn I for sure will be reaching out to you not only to talk about this but just talk in general especially since I miss just chatting with you on EF.

Chococarmela thanks and I looked into it my school doesnt have a buddy program and I know plenty of people in college just not at the same place as me. Being alone is part of the overall overwhelming problem but thank you for the idea.

5 Likes

Aww, ok, if you ever need someone to vent to, I’m here!

1 Like

Thank you so much its great to know.

1 Like

You’re welcome. :two_hearts:

1 Like

I’m in college too. I know how you feel.

2 Likes

appreciate having you all to talk with and thanks Alex

1 Like

I know how you feel in significantly being the youngest in most of your classes. That can make it feel even more overwhelming and be even harder to try talking to any classmates. It’s hard for me to give much advice on that since even now after a couple years I still don’t really have anyone I’m comfortable around at school, but the best I can tell you is to try and make a friend in one of your classes. At least, try to interact with someone that sits near you while waiting for the teacher to start the lecture. Even simple small talk about the content of the class, or anything you may have in common could help.

Take it one step at a time. This first semester will probably be rough, but take it one step at a time and it will get easier.

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity