College application advice

I don’t think that my applications were that great, but I can give some general advice that makes the whole process a bit easier.

1. Give yourself plenty of time to do it. You probably have to fill out a lot of biographical information which is mostly just time consuming and boring. You also put a lot of stress on yourself by trying to write essays at the last minute, so I would never recommend that.
  2. Start by writing general information about yourself that you think might be interesting. Something you’ve done, experienced, or that motivates you can all be really interesting to work from. It’s better to have too many ideas for topics than too few.
  3. Gets lots of feedback about the essays! People can read drafts and give feedback on them, which at least lets you know how other people perceive your essays.

@HomeworkHelp ~ do you have any other advice that might be helpful?

10 Likes

starts now, goes to uni in 2021

1 Like

honestly, i know some people who prepped for over a year :joy:

1 Like

I didn’t actually start tho👀 I might
It’s smart

1 Like

I’m in college and I didn’t need an essay.

1 Like

Same. Colleges and universities here don’t need essays, or at least ones near me, but an entrance exam there is.

Also, kinda intrigued to study abroad so… : D

2 Likes

I haven’t started writing my essays yet…

1 Like

Most colleges and universities in my country don’t have a very big focus on essays either they usually do interviews or entrance exams.

2 Likes

I didn’t have to do any of that. Just had to send in my transcripts.

1 Like

Does your college accept everyone that applies that is somewhat decent or are they more picky?

1 Like

I guess they just accept everyone…

1 Like

Studying for entrance exams sounds really stressful :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Depending on the exam totally!

But for the Art school I’m currently attending I didn’t really have to do a traditional exam just a bunch of art-related assignments. It was still quite stressful though as they only allowed in about 10 people or so :eyes:

2 Likes

Add the ‘application’ tag (wink)

1 Like

I’m kinda glad I never had to write a college application, but these are great tips!

I suppose I could give some tips about UCAS forms to people who use those.

If you’re writing yours while at your Sixth Form/College then honestly go to your teachers if you need advice, they’ll be writing your reference anyway and dw they have no business in writing down anything bad, because it reflects better on the college/sixth form if you get into uni.

Now, in terms of UCAS for if you aren’t doing it through college/sixth form you’re gonna need to get a reference and do that manually, I had to use one of the people from my work experience but I know some people may not even have that.

So one of my biggest pieces of advice is that it’s easier to apply if your teachers are there to give you guidance, so pleaseeee make sure you wanna do the thing you signed up for.

I signed up originally for something that I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of but it was the closest to what I wanted to do…trust me. Uni isn’t a place to do a subject you don’t actually want to be doing. You can change courses easily if you notice that fast enough but if you wait like I did, things get a little harder :joy:

@Students any more advice?

Closed due to inactivity