Creating Pets for your Character(s)

Having an little creature by your character side, but making it does mean they are little side characters that need to be ‘present’

Personally I only have one character with an animal: Regan, and when writing Daisy, I often forget she’s with them.

So here are some personal tips on how to write your little creatures:

1. Mention them:
    it’s important that other people know that your little pet is present. Especially when they first meet them it’s good to know what animal they are, how old and what breed they are, etc.

2. They are their own character.
    Don’t forget about them just because they are a small extra little character. They still are a character and shouldn’t be played just when you feel like it. I sometimes feel like it’s annoying or unneeded to have them present, but that can happen with real pets as well, they are they whenever you want them to or not.

3. their companion.
    your pet is like a character trait, it can be something that pushes your character’s image more. The most obvious pets are Cats and Dogs, but give your character an snake or bird as well, give others something where they can respond differently on, see what happens.

@RPers, do you have other tips or tricks you learned as your character had a pet?

4 Likes

Oohh, my character Eugenia from FTD has a snake!

I think rats are unique pets…

1 Like

They can be so cute!

1 Like

Ikrrr :pleading_face:

1 Like

added some tags

1 Like

Woo. Finally got the opportunity to read this one and it’s another that’s very informative. I only have one pet so far and I created him with my character 'cause the pet was such a HUGE part of the character’s story and life.