Credit, Debit, and Debt!

Since schools (at least not in my school) don’t teach this in their curriculum, I thought it would be nice to make a thread on this.

What is Debit?

Debit and credit are two separate cards. A debit card is your own money, meaning the money inside the card is your earned money. You can deposit and withdraw money within your bank account. With this card, you can also open a savings account. With this card, you need a personal pin.

Debit cards do not have interest rates because you’re using your own money.

What is Credit?

This is more complicated.

Credit cards are completely different. A credit card is money from the bank, meaning if you choose to make purchases off of that card, you’d be borrowing their money and eventually would need to make a payment back to them with your own money. You cannot deposit or withdraw money with this card, but you don’t need a pin to use it!

With credit cards, it can be a bit more risky depending on your ability to manage money. With credit cards comes interest fees. When you make a payment, the bank will issue a note via electronically or mail as to when the statement is due. Credit cards have interest rates. The higher the interest rate, the more you have to pay. If you delay your payment, the interest fee may go up. You would not need to pay for any interest fee if you make a payment on time. ALWAYS pay them back in time or else you’ll end up paying more than the initial amount. For example:

• Say you go to buy a new couch and it costs $500, but your paycheck comes next week. You decide to pay by credit, so once you get your paycheck that is when you will pay the bank back. If you do not pay the full amount by the due date, the bank will give you an alternative: pay the minimum amount, but you will need to pay extra with this minimum amount because of the interest fee. Each time you miss the due date, the interest fee will go up. Say you missed the due date 3 times, the 3rd time you pay off everything in total of $550 (I am too lazy to do the actual math of interest rate so i chose a random number lol). Hypothetically, you wasted 50 dollars that you could’ve used on gas if you paid on time – but you didn’t so no gas for your car.

The more you miss the due dates when using credit cards, the worse your credit score will be. You want your credit score to be good. With a good credit score, you will be able to make loans, buy a house, car, etc. that the bank will let you use the money for. However, with a low credit score, the bank will not issue you loans or borrows for these things because there isn’t trust. That’s why you always need to make your payments on time when it comes to
credit.

But the thing is, the bank watches you. If you choose to spend $500 dollars using credit, it’s more risky with a bad credit score, so the bank will be more reluctant to let you use the money. With a good credit score, there’s more trust so the bank will be open to letting you use their money.

Think of credit score as trust. Good credit score means good trust, bad credit score means bad trust. It can take a really long time to build your credit score depending on how bad it is. So please, make sure to manage your money well with credit. Low credit scores can be a result of debt which isn’t something you want.

Credit and Cashback Rewards

Some credit card companies actually provide cashback rewards based on a percentage. Cashback is when you earn back a % of money spent on that credit card which you cannot do on a debit card.

Say you spend money on gas or groceries using credit, paying them back on time can give you a cashback reward of 2% which you can use to help save for plane tickets to go on vacation. Not all card companies do this but some do like Discover. However, cashback can expire.

Discover It Student card is a great example of cashback rewards. With this card, you can earn 5% back on everyday purchases which you can use to spend on your college tuition.

(I’d go into more detail if I knew more but I’m not that experienced).
If anyone has anything to add on, please do!

I hope this was helpful!

@Students
@Discussions

8 Likes

I’m not that experienced in credit because I haven’t been using it for that long, but if anyone has anything to add on, especially about the cashback rewards, please do so!

1 Like

added a tag!

1 Like

I thought the Credit and Debit was pertaining to this since it was under homework lol because I studied Accounting at school and this was one of the main topics :smiley_cat:

1 Like

:smiley: Sherry just taught me more useful skills than my school in one post

1 Like

Woah this is so useful :star_struck: I didn’t even know the difference-

did you study in college? because then that makes sense, but in high school it is a lot more limited so they don’t teach stuff like this. I’m still in high school, so we don’t have accounting as a subject

1 Like

glad this was helpful! :star_struck:

2 Likes

No. High-school! I did studied it for two years because we had options to choose which subjects we wanted to do in upper school and I chose Principles of Accounting as one of them, so I guess maybe the credit/debit that was under homework category was pertaining to that aspect

Awhh I understand :sob::blush:

ohhh, luckyyy :sob:

i decided to put this in school because i can see how it fits

Hahaha true, I thought it was taught in all schools so it’s now I’m knowing now all schools offer that subject… which they should because some people might even want to get into Accounting or work at a bank and this topic you made here is also great because you get to know the difference in the usage of various cards :star_struck::star_struck::raised_hands:t5:

true, true. I decided to put it in school since it does fit in school!

1 Like

i find this important to know so bumpity :star_struck:

i beg to differ. i took PFL last year =D

my school doesn’t teach stuff like this so I had to learn this on my own

1 Like

whether i remember anything is a different question =)

also what’s a PFL 0.o

2 Likes

Pumpkin foam latte. I have no clue

1 Like

PErsonal Financial Litteracy, required course in my highschool