Difficult Books to read in English

I will admit there are some books that are extremely difficult to read but most times it is because of when they were written. For instance, Pride and Prejudice is a challenge to read if you are not used to the proper English they used back during that time. The book was written as a modern-day book for its audience which was for people during the late 1700s to the early 1800s at the time. This is the same when it comes to Alexander Dumas who lived during the early 1800s to the late 1800s. He wrote Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, and other books that were difficult to read. Another big example of a difficult book is Lord of the Rings since Tolkien made up his own languages, wrote in an older style of writing plus based his series on the battle experience that he earned during WW1. There are more books that can be hard to read but these are the ones that come to mind for me.

Are there any difficult books to read in English that you have come across? What were they? What made them so difficult?

@Discussions
@Bookworms

2 Likes

I don’t know but I reckon Catch-22 would be up there. Damn. Some of those paragraphs were KILLERS!

2 Likes

The book thief.

3 Likes

Notes from Underground by Dostevesky
Translated from Russian and you have to consider all of the psychological and everything else and understand the discourse. You could totally read it completely wrong. Also there are several different translations.

3 Likes

Forgive but, someone had to make the joke.

Summary

Twilight

2 Likes

The Scarlet Letter. I had to read that in 11th grade, and got really bored by the language used throughout the book. A Tale of Two Cities was kind of complicated, but our English teacher in 10th grade made it fun and easy to understand with all the activities we did in class. She’d also show us the movie in parts, according to what chapters we were reading at the moment.

I’ve heard Dune is reallly reallllly hard to read

Closed due to inactivity