Discussion: A Christmas Carol

This is a very famous book by Charles Dickens. For those of you who don’t know, it’s about an old miser named Ebeneezer Scrooge and he’s really bitter. He’s cheap and he hates Christmas. So he get’s visited by three ghosts (four if you count Jacob Marley) these ghosts are known as the ghost of Christmas past, the ghost of Christmas present and the ghost of Christmas yet to come.

The purpose of these ghosts is to try and change Scrooge into becoming a better person. It’s a good book especially for annotating at GCSE level because there are so many links to context that can be made.

It is safe to say that it is implied that Scrooge represents the government at the time which was really harsh, especially to poor people. There would be circumstances where if you were poor you would actually end up in prison or a workhouse and the conditions were awful. When Charles Dickens was a child, his father ended up in one of these prisons.

Tiny Tim is implied to give a face to the nameless poor, he represents all that was wrong with society back then. His fate is almost sealed by Scrooge and the fact he refuses to pay Bob enough money for him and his family to live.

The whole book is pretty much a call for change in the corrupt political system back then.

So please feel free to ask questions and discuss the book below.

Also try to consider if the book can still be applied to today.

5 Likes

I’ve read that book before, I forgot what it was about though. :rofl: :purple_heart: :butterfly:

2 Likes

Fair enough

Since I did it for GCSE though it rotates around my head on a daily basis.

Every so often my brain just thinks

“Charles Dickens likes to use lists”

2 Likes

Oh my goodness one of my favourite things about the book is that instead of chapters it’s written in staves :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I might read it again though. :purple_heart: :butterfly:

2 Likes

This movie is…

E V E R Y T H I N G :star_struck::christmas_tree:

3 Likes

You should! Especially since it’s Christmas time :joy:

1 Like

The Jim Carrey movie? I feel like that is one of the best representations of the book although a muppets christmas carol is definitely entertaining.

3 Likes

Yeah non-animated movie is awesome that i find the muppet version boring lol

2 Likes

Honestly there have been so many versions of it that I can’t keep track

At least the book stays the same :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I had to read the play in 7th grade, and my class also watched the movie. :rose::two_hearts:

3 Likes

I love this book for some random reason

2 Likes

I’ve read a version of the book, acted it out, seen it in a movie and seen it in a play.

2 Likes

I’m going to see a live theatre thing of it soon! :green_heart:

1 Like

Same

2 Likes

I like the Dr. Who episode take on this classic!

2 Likes

I loved the movie too!

2 Likes

Lol which one? :joy:

We are doing a version in my drama class. I’m playing Scrouge so I get to shout a lot and unleash my inner anger :joy: so far we have done the first scene and the one with the ghost of Christmas past. But our teacher insists we modernise it :confused:

1 Like

I actually haven’t read it yet. Is it good?

1 Like