Discussion: Affirmative Action

Affirmative action refers to a set of policies and practices within a government or organization seeking to increase the representation of particular groups based on their gender, race, creed or nationality in areas in which they were excluded in the past such as education and employment. Historically and internationally, support for affirmative action has sought to achieve goals such as bridging inequalities in employment and pay, increasing access to education, promoting diversity, and redressing apparent past wrongs, harms, or hindrances.
(Source: Wikipedia – don’t @ me)

In the United States, the most common Affirmative Action policies are to help minority groups gain a better chance for acceptance into either a scholarship program or a high-level institution. The logic is: by offering less-privileged families a better education, the system will balance out and we will see less under-privileged minority groups in the future.

• What are your opinions on affirmative action?
  • Have there been any policies in your state/country?
  • Do you think it’s effective?
  • Do you suspect that you have ever been offered/denied a position/scholarship that may have been a cause of affirmative action?

@Discussions

4 Likes

Affirmative action can be a good thing (replying based on the information given in the thread) but it doesn’t solve things if means just giving opportunities. You can give minorities more opportunities, but that doesn’t erase the discrimination against minorities. For example, a black person can have the same education as a white person, but the teachers discriminate against the black person because of their own bias and racism.
It’s a good way to give them more opportunities in life and make it more fair or equal, but we’d need to do more than give them opportunities. We need to give them representation. we need more representation. if you have a racist president who promotes violence against Asians, a person in senate who has a racial bias, they’re going to influence these views on other people. Hence, racial stereotypes, prejudices, discrimination, etc.

Luckily, not yet. I am not that far in life yet and I’m glad to be living in an area where racism is not as bad. However, I have experienced social interactions where I have faced racism

2 Likes

It sucks! :sob:

I live in the US. enough said.

No it’s stupid.

No, I’m not old enough for college nor a job.

1 Like

Why does it suck? I’m not quite 100% aware of what this means so I only replied based on the information given in the thread

2 Likes

It sucks in America. I hate it here.

1 Like

For those who might not know what it is, I found a very long article on it:

2 Likes

Do you mean it’s not effective or it’s just plain wrong?

1 Like

It’s wrong.

1 Like

Affirmative action? I’m curious why you think it’s wrong :thinking: (I’m pretty neutral about it)

1 Like

They discriminate here, against women, gays, POC, etc, and they are so dumb, they practically are teaching affirmative action. Why are you neutral about it? (Not being rude, just curious.)

1 Like

Looks scary until you realize there’s like two pages worth of works cited…

1 Like

How do they discriminate? In what ways? :thinking:

2 Likes

Reliable :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Shooting POC.

1 Like

yeah! You can also tell it’s reliable cuz it’s a .edu source

1 Like

I don’t think that’s affirmative action

3 Likes

The intention of affirmative action is to provide these minorities that you just listed better opportunities. I might be wrong, but I think you might have affirmative action confusing with something else :joy:

I’m neutral because I do see both the pros and cons. Yes, we’re giving minorities more opportunities, but we’re also refusing opportunities to candidates that might be more qualified and have worked harder for the position.

2 Likes

Yeye and Stanford always has reliable sources :3

2 Likes

Is there evidence that you have that specifically affirmative action does that?

1 Like

That’s not affirmative action :sweat_smile:

1 Like