Discussion: Afterlife in Relation to Religion

In afterlife religion plays a big role. With the quick research I did I now show the main points. Christians mostly believe in heaven and hell as a type of afterlife. In Islam there is the Jannah and Jahannam. Jews believe in Sheol (today many Jews call it Gehennom) a place where every dead unrighteout person goes. They believe in Gan Eden. Buddhists believe in Karma, reincarnation based on how well you lived your life if I’m correct. And lastly Hinduism is about an immoral soul but you live in different bodies.

Now I would love to hear from people themselves more about what those things include so if you follow one of those religions I would love if you could explain us more about how exactly it works what you believe in. Also feel free to share your thoughts on it if you are atheist.

10 Likes

I’m Maori culture, the spirits of the dead watch over us. There are special ceremonies to free their spirit from the body and allow it to roam free, then there is a funeral.
You also go back to gravestones and bless them every once in a while, no matter how long ago they passed because the person is still there.

2 Likes

I’m not religious at all, but I assume that there might be some higher being, I just decided that it’s irrelevant in my life regardless of if it’s real or not.
As about afterlife. I really hope that when I die - I die once and for all. Afterlife as it’s described in Christian literature scare the sh!t outta me.

6 Likes

I don’t really believe in heaven or hell but i do believe there is some sort of afterlife, i feel like there is something that happens after death.

4 Likes

I don’t remember what I’m supposed to believe, but I do believe there’s an afterlife. :rofl::white_heart:

3 Likes

I don’t think that anything happens after we die… Our whole world as we see it is just a combination of different impulses that our brain gets from different organs, so if our brain stops working, we won’t be able to see, feel, hear, taste, etc. so I guess we won’t even know that we are dead because if our brain doesn’t work anymore, we can’t even form a thought about being dead…

time to add :eyes::sparkles: to make my post sound less depressing :smiley_cat::green_heart::eyes::sparkles: :eyes::sparkles:

9 Likes

In Islam, we have Jenna (Paradise) and Narr (Hell). If you have more good deeds then bad, you go to Paradise, if you have more Bad deeds, you’ll go to Narr.

4 Likes

I’m not an atheist, but don’t really follow a religion.

I don’t believe in the afterlife, and for personal reasons, I sort of hope it doesn’t exist. I want to have died and that’s it.

The world as we see it is because of our senses. Hearing, tasting, seeing, touching, smelling. These are all controlled by the brain. When we die, the brain also dies, and none of those things work anymore. So even if there was an afterlife, we wouldn’t be aware of it.

Of course there is the whole thing about souls… :eyes:

3 Likes

I’m not religious at all but for me I agree with Buddhism the most because it’s not down to some higher power judging you,
Personally I believe that when you die if you haven’t made peace with your death/ how you died you will Roam the earth as a spirit until you do become at peace with it

3 Likes

Wasn’t supposed to reply to you sorry​:sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

I kinda agree.

2 Likes

Same

Bump?

I want to correct here: Sheol is a place where all dead unrighteout people go.

In Judaism, there’s a world where all dead people go after their death and live in, called in Hebrew “Ha’Olam Ha-Ba”, or the World To Come. They judge you according to your deeds in This World (where all alive people live in), going through all your deeds - good ones and bad ones and they see if you have done more good deeds or bad deeds, and according to this they decide which side of the World To Come you will be in. (In addition, they could decide whether or not to give you the right to come back to This World or stay in the World To Come, but it’s not like that with everyone )

1 Like

Ohh, thanks a lot for this correction. I tried to do as much research as possible but missed that one!

1 Like

Note: today many Jews call it Gehennom. Where I live, I don’t really hear people calling that place Sheol :sweat_smile:, but Gehennom.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for that note, I will add that as well to the original post!

And add that we believe in Gan Eden

Bump

Whether you’re religious or not, do you still think that afterlife exists regardless of your deeds?

1 Like