Discussion: Chauvin's Murder Trial

Trigger Warning: Death, Phobias, Crime

So, I made this thread for the Chauvin Murder trial over George Floyd’s death. They pulled Chauvin back into court about a week ago to convict him for the murder of George Floyd. The defense says that they were worried about the safety of George Floyd and that the crowd was distracting them. Multiple videos of evidence shows that is BS. Also, the police chief of Chauvin’s precinct even said that Chauvin should of gotten off of George Floyd’s neck 3 seconds after they had Floyd calm down. He was sitting on his neck for 3 minutes straight. George Floyd had a fear of claustrophobia which is why he fought the cops trying to but in him in the cramped back seat of the police car. You have to take in consideration that George was at least 6 ft tall which is understandable he couldn’t deal with the being put into the cruiser.

He vehemently made it clear he had claustrophobia throughout the entire video until he stopped responding. The police should of given him space once he was calmed down or at least sat him up against the wheel of the car. Instead, they got right on top of him which raised his fear to the point that he had a heart attack. The liquid they was running on the ground was urine. It’s a common thing to happen when a person sadly dies. The same thing happens to the bowels as well. He scared George Floyd to death basically.

Article that goes over the key points of the case so far:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/live/2021/derek-chauvin-trial-explained.amp.html

What do you think of the trial so far? Do you think the prosecution has enough evidence to charge Chauvin? Do you think the defendant’s defense still holds clout? Are you keeping up with the trial?

@Discussions

2 Likes

So, the verdict has been made. Derek Chauvin is found guilty on all three accounts. Justice came through for once.

@Discussions

7 Likes

HE’S GUILTY :sob:

5 Likes

Yes!

3 Likes

What did he get?

2 Likes

He got 40 years in prison but he could have a lesser sentence which sucks

3 Likes

I just saw. He deserves 40.

4 Likes

Honestly he deserves life but that’s way too much to ask the justice system

3 Likes

I actually didn’t hear that part.

Thanks for posting this.

4 Likes

I was watching people discuss the trial on YouTube this morning and someone made a really good point on HasanAbi’s stream: if people want to know what good not voting for Trump did, it’s the mere fact that Trump would probably have given Chauvin a pardon.

3 Likes

“High on fentanyl… no angel” Lol I didn’t realise that you had to be an angel to not get murdered by the police

2 Likes

I’m not an angel, so I guess I deserve to be gunned down by the people who are supposed to sErVe AnD pRoTeCt

Ah I’m a person of colour so…

2 Likes

Gosh I really hate that people think the police are supposed to go around and kill people who they deem to not be an angel. That’s literally not their job.

2 Likes

The law in America is that you don’t get to be executed or imprisoned without a trial, right? Well, apparently not if you’re a black person

3 Likes

If there’s one thing that I learned about police when doing my law unit it’s that alot of the time they don’t actually know the law :upside_down_face: that’s greatttttt (sarcasm)

1 Like

To put this into perspective for people with a less extreme example:

Imagine if me, a head on here had never read any of the forum rules and I just banned people on the spot if they did something I didn’t like. Nobody dies in that scenario but it’s still seriously bad.

Now the more serious example:

The police should know the law, they shouldn’t just kill people. They especially shouldn’t kill people based on the colour of their skin. They should also know peoples rights and they should do more than know them, they should follow them.

I’m glad that in this case the officer was found guilty, it’s a step in the right direction but it’s a very long hike we’re walking on.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m reading Warrior’s Don’t Cry by Melba Patillo Beals, and the sheer abuse she’s going through just because of her skin is disgusting. I can’t believe I haven’t thrown the book across the room yet.

1 Like

@anon68003072 and @ShanniiWrites I think in this case the attack was actually personal. Chauvin had wanted to get George Floyd multiple times before if I remember correctly but I agree with both of your points. It’s shame that the police force is overshadowed by all the bad cops that intimidate person of color. It just feels like case after case is popping up at this point.

Closed due to inactivity