Discussion: Family and Career

This is a quite controversial topic that can be seen from different perspectives, so I wanted to know what you think about this.

Can you have a happy family life and a successful career at the same time?
Should people have to choose between those two?
Which one is more important to you?
Which one do you think did your parents prioritize?
What should be more important in politics: Giving people the chance of having a successful career or supporting family lives?

Feel free to answer those questions and discuss everything else related to this topic!

6 Likes

Can you have a happy family life and a successful career at the same time?

Yeah!

Should people have to choose between those two?

No I don’t think that should be the case, but I understand how it can come down to a choice.

Which one is more important to you?

My family is more important to me, but where I’m at in life right now I can dedicate all the time I want to a “career” or friends. My family (parents and sister) really don’t need my time that much haha.

Which one do you think did your parents prioritize?

My dad definitely prioritized hobbies and friends (and family). My mom a little bit of both. None of them have dedicated all their life to (successfully) pursuing a career. I mean they’re both hard workers, have worked all their life, but not really too career oriented?

What should be more important in politics: Giving people the chance of having a successful career or supporting family lives?

I mean everyone should get a chance to get a job above minimum wage and being able to support their families. I don’t even know what counts as a “successful” career… Everyone should get an education and a job. Successful or not is more individual in my opinion.

3 Likes

One hundred percent

They shouldn’t
But they do

Family

Family

Family lives

2 Likes

Oof this is a difficult topic.

I do think you can have a happy family and career life. Although, depending on your career path, it will definitely be difficult to be there for your family whilst also maintaining a career outside of your home life. So yea, you might have to decide which is more important to you :thinking:

Imo tho family is more important than anything else (if you have a good family that is).

2 Likes

Happy bdayy!! :tada:

2 Likes

It depends actually. It depends on the relationship that you have with your family because if you’re happy with them, you’re more likely to be happy with your career.

2 Likes

Yes. If you have an unsuccessful career that could effect your family life because you could be poor or always unhappy because you may feel that you ate not doing enough to support your family, but if you spend all of your time focusing in your career than that could tear apart the family, you won’t get to spend enough time with anyone and your family may feel as if they mean nothing to you.
You just need to balance it, don’t spend too much time working and building a successful career and have fun with your family.

3 Likes

I think that depends on what job you have. In some jobs, you can be successful and still have enough time to spend with your family. And it depends on what you see as a “happy” family life

No, they should be able to, but not have to.

Family, my Mum puts family above everything

That depends on the country and the time, sometimes one thing is more important than the other at a certain time, but it can change

Added a tag

Yes

Shouldn’t, but there are times where the decision must be made.

Family. Family has always been important to my parents. I want to be able to have a good career to be able to take care of my family, but family will always be most important to me.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity.