Discussion: Freeverse Poems

Free verse is an open form of poetry, which in its modern form arose through the French vers libre form . It does not use consistent meter patterns, rhyme, or any musical pattern. It thus tends to follow the rhythm of natural speech.

- Wikipedia

Here are examples of freeverse poems:

1. “Come slowly, Eden” by Emily Dickinson

“Come slowly, Eden
Lips unused to thee.
Bashful, sip thy jasmines,
As the fainting bee,
Reaching late his flower,
Round her chamber hums,
Counts his nectars—alights,
And is lost in balms!”

1. “The Pool” by H.D.

Are you alive?
I touch you.
You quiver like a sea-fish.
I cover you with my net.
What are you—banded one?

I can say that I really love freeverse poems. It’s not because of how it is written but rather because of how I feel about it. For some reason, whenever I think about it, I think about chill peace or something. I like writing them because I can just write them out immediately (about my current mood, thoughts, etc.) without thinking about rhyming words and other patterns.

In fact I have a book where I jot down my thoughts or feelings in freeverse poem because why not

@Writers

• What do you think about these poems?
  • Do you write freeverse poems? (Have you?)
3 Likes

Although I haven’t tried writing free-verse poems before, I love to read them. They’re easy to follow. And I feel like one can express more emotions and feelings through a free-verse poem than other poems that follow a rhyme, because we have to think about matching words and stuff in the latter. My favorite is ‘On Killing a Tree’ by Gieve Patel

I haven’t ventured in this case but I’d like to, in future after I conclude the unfinished poems in my journal properly

1 Like

Theres no rhyming and that saddens me

2 Likes

The first one has some rhyming

1 Like

This is true
but it still saddens me that there is not more of it

1 Like

but thats the whole point!

1 Like

wut

1 Like

to not rhyme…idk i am not really a fan either, but I don’t generally understand poetry either…

1 Like

They’re pretty cool

1 Like

That’s what makes it easy to read for readers and continue for poets

1 Like

But the rhyming. Fezzik deserves his rhymes.

1 Like

You just need to read some awesome ones , then you’ll love it

Closed due to inactivity