DISCUSSION: Friendship Break-Ups

Okay, so like, Me and a friend had this big fight when I joined her on a game, and I eavesdrop on the conversation she was having with her other friend, and I listen to her saying, that I joined the game and she doesn’t “consider me as a friend” all-cause she said to me “u don’t bother talking me, I don’t have to keep waiting for months to talk” and Im like BRUH. WTH are u waiting for, just TALK TO ME. That triggered me because U DON’T SEE ME COMPLANING ABOUT NOT TALKING TO EACH OTHER. Like WTH.

U know what, like Meg says in Hercules, “SOMETIMES ITS BEST TO BE ALONE, SO NO ONE WOULD HURT YOU”

To me, that f* hurt. Ya just gonna shut me out all cause we don’t talk, and the thing is WTH is there to complain about not talking to someone. Thoughts?

Questions:

1. Have you ever had to end a friendship with someone because of not talking/seeing each other?
  2. Do u think it’s stupid to end a friendship with someone who doesn’t talk very often?
  3. Does it hurt you?
  4. We’ve been friends for a very long time, we’ve had good times, and now…it’s ending. How would you feel about that?
10 Likes
  • Have you ever had to end a friendship with someone because of not talking/seeing each other?
    Nope, but I was in a toxic friendship.
  • Do u think it’s stupid to end a friendship with someone who doesn’t talk very often?
    That shouldn’t be the reason to break a friendship, I am friends with people that I don’t talk to often but they know I care for them.
  • Does it hurt you?
    Ending a friendship is not easy, it was tough for me because I had to see her everyday at school and pretend I don’t know her, but I was truly happier without her in my life.
  • We’ve been friends for a very long time, we’ve had good times, and now…it’s ending. How would you feel about that?
    I would respect her opinion because I can’t force anyone to be my friend and just move on and find better friends.
3 Likes

Oof, this is a hard topic for me. I’ve never ended my friendships because of a fight or anything like they. They all find someone much better than me and stop talking to me and it hurts. And I don’t know how to make people stay

5 Likes

I’ve ended a friendship with someone but only because that person was extremely annoying and then she tried to insult me one day not in a friendly way and I was like um don’t talk to me anymore and the next day she still thought we were friends lol, she didn’t even apologize so I just ignored her and we’re still not friends to this very day. :slightly_smiling_face:

It used to hurt that we weren’t friends cuz we were like besties but now idrc. :joy:

3 Likes

This is true tbh, she has her friends and Im cool with it.

3 Likes

Nope, I haven’t messaged one of my best friends for a few days but they are still my friend. I know that sometimes people don’t have the energy to talk or reply which is why it bothers me when I see people say “you’ll share a meme but you won’t talk to me” like it requires a different kind of energy :joy:

I’m not going to call it stupid since I know different things effect different people differently. Personally I wouldn’t scrap a friendship over it because I don’t require a huge amount of contact to be satisfied. I’m trying to stop my brain from doing the dumb anxiety thoughts y’know “they’re not talking to you it means they don’t like you” because quite frankly that only applies to some people, like yeah a small amount of people will stop talking to you if they don’t like you without telling you why but most of the time if people have an issue they’ll tell you. So I don’t bannish people if they don’t message me back within ten seconds. :joy:

Yeah it always hurts when a friendship is on the rocks.

Not rad. But if I were you I’d try talking to her again when you’re calm, when you’re both calm. Clearly your friend is upset about something and while that doesn’t excuse her behaviour it will give you both a chance to mend things and be honest.

3 Likes

Exactly, but u know what, it’s time to give them up and let them be with their new friends. Cause now she unfriended me and were not talking anymore, so thts fine with me.

2 Likes

I dont think she wants to even talk about it since she said “I dont really want to call you a friend” which hurts me when she said that to her friend, so idk. So im talking to our other friend, just to tell her my feelings, and thats it. Im tried of being the pawn, so thats it.

2 Likes

That’s completely understandable and it was a bad thing to say on her part. So if you don’t want to talk to her you don’t owe her anything.

2 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

same here, right now.

2 Likes

I mean kind of as it was part of the reason why I didn’t want to stay friends with them, but not the main reason. We were growing apart before already.

I mean that really depends on the situation. I have friends who I don’t talk to for several months, but once we do meet up we still talk like we saw each other yesterday.

But like I stated above I did break up a friendship partly because of us barely talking to each other. As the friendship turned out to be very one-sided .I noticed that whenever we talked or met up with each other it was always me who had to instigate those things. I often asked her to meet up on several occasions before she would agree and it’s not like she had a very busy life. She would just just say no because she didn’t really seem to care about maintaining our friendship. Eventually I just stopped actively seeking out here company and that’s when I noticed that it was always me who wanted to see her and never her wanting to see me. As our contact immediately stopped after that and I ddecided to move on.

Friendship is a two way street . I’m not going to effort in maintaining it if it’s only going to be one-sided. Might as well just find another friend who does value my company :woman_shrugging:t2:.

If I actively seek out to contact someone and they keep rejecting me . Yeah ofcourse it’s going to hurt me , but staying friends with someone who doesn’t want to be my friend hurts more.

It’s awful and it takes some time getting used to , but in my case I do not regret my decision by ending the friendship. I wouldn’t mind it if she would contact me and asked me to be friends again, but as of right now I don’t see that happening very soon.

2 Likes

Not really… sometimes I lose contact with people because they move far away or change jobs, or we aren’t involved in the same activities. I’m really bad at keeping in touch with people, but I wouldn’t end a friendship over it.

I don’t think it’s a good enough reason to end a friendship. I would only end a friendship with someone who is toxic or disrespectful towards me.

Yes, if I care about that friend, it would hurt me that they want to end our friendship just because we don’t talk often.

Sad.

2 Likes

they are the saddest of the breakups, like, SOs? 2/10 on the pain scale
this one’s an 11

1 yes
2 YES
3 very
4 very upsghetti, i cling to the past

3 Likes

i had a toxic friend once, she succs, and she’s the reason i ate lunch in the bathroom AHA, befyesgefebam yuck

i miss my ex best friend :cry:

2 Likes

yes

no

not anymore

its happened to me and idc anymore

2 Likes

I had three major friendship breakups. one of them i still look back at but the other two… i wish i was NEVER friends with them.

2 Likes

Sort of. I know when a couple of my friends moved away they found new friends and then we honestly just didnt talk anymore. So I guess in a way its kinda like that?

I mean I wouldn’t just throw the entire friendship away because you haven’t been talking much. There is always reconnecting and sometimes people just get caught up in life. Obviously there may be other reasons for not talking as much. Lets say a friend was talking to everyone else but didn’t talk to you, or when you did try and talk to them and they didn’t answer obviously thats something to get a little upset about. Sometimes its easier to just cut off friendships with some people though, especially if they are only causing you pain.

Of course! It always hurts when a friendship is about to end, sometimes you can salvage it but its really sad when you have to let them go.

Honestly I would feel a little down in the dumps. I wouldn’t be so upset if that friend took the time to tell my why they no longer wanted to be friends or if they want to reconnect, try for that.

2 Likes

Not really and I personally think it’s wrong to do that. You don’t have to talk to someone every day for them to be your friend. That’s not what friendship is about.

Absolutely. Yes. I personally think it is very rude to tell someone you don’t want to be their friend anymore and especially because you don’t talk with them often.

2 Likes

Nah, if they end, they end naturally just of that cause :laughing: And if they don’t end I know that we’ll be friends for the rest of our lives

Depends on why they don’t talk very often. If it’s because we don’t have any similar interests or just because the person is quiet.

I’ve never ended a friendship on bad notes. More like… growing apart so no in that case.

Why would it end though? Growing apart? Is it mutual? Sometimes I just stop talking with someone because we find new interests and friends and stuff.

Hm… people I do want in my life I don’t let go so easily and they are people I can be myself with without working hard to maintain the friendship. We just keep in touch now and then, some periods we see each other every week other times it can go months or years.

Hm… and it’s not that I’m like “we’re not friends anymore”. We’re still friends but not as close or maybe only count as acquaintances but we’re not enemies or unfriendly towards each other.

2 Likes