Discussion: How to Solve Climate Change

This is a place where we can share and discuss on the political views on climate change. What should be done to fix it? How should governments react to the climate protests?
In the end the most important question, do governments handle it well at the moment or should it be done differently?

Personally I think some countries are doing a decent job, but like always there is a lot to improve. I feel like mainly counties should work better together, like unite as the whole world to fix this pretty urgent issue.

9 Likes

I think that, at least where I’m from, they’re doing quite good. Recycling is mandatory, we learn climate change at school, open markets are really cheap and usual so buying locally is easy, only biodegradable plastic bags are allowed (and next to none uses them since you pay extra to have them) and a lot of schools use solar panels.
Some countries are doing better, others are worse. I think that people should stop imposing this to third world countries. “I’ll start when country xyz will”, the majority of them aren’t even a problem. Morocco, a third world country, has the biggest solar panels farm in the world and they banned the use of plastic bags, so rich, first world countries don’t have any excuse

6 Likes

First of all, I think it’s important for us to vote in politicians who actually believe in climate change. We can make small changes in our own lives, but when companies are pumping out fossil fuels every single second, changes that normal people make don’t even leave a dent on the problem.

Secondly, we need to promote sustainable energy. Like, why the hell did the government in the UK get rid of subsidies for people who get solar panels put on their roof? Why is it so hard now to sell your energy back to electricity companies to help with housing costs? If that was promoted and upheld, people would be much more likely to produce their own solar energy.

And let’s not even bring up the fact that sustainable products are so damn expensive! Like, Tesla is doing some great stuff even if Elon Musk is a bit of an ass. They’re so damn expensive, though! How can we even begin to make changes like that when most people can’t afford them?!

9 Likes

While the US and China are going the way they’re going? We don’t have a chance at survival as a species :man_shrugging:

It’s actually at the point where having children is an irresponsible decision that borders on child abuse because of the hellish nightmare world they’re being born into

4 Likes

You know what? I’m going to stop saying this. We aren’t talking about a refutable thing like religion and the afterlife.

What I mean is we need to vote in politicians who accept the reality of climate change.

7 Likes

Every products right after it gets created is expensive. This is because they have to create a market and in order to stay afloat they need to make some revenue. Even if Elon Musk didn’t invent electric cars, he’s still the one that made them mainstream so this product some years ago wasn’t as popular. A lot of brands are now switching to green products to create some competition, so I would expect some affordable options from other brands really soon

It reminds me of this:
“A new law in Michigan will prohibit local governments from banning, regulating or imposing fees on the use of plastic bags and other containers. You read that correctly: It’s not a ban on plastic bags — it’s a ban on banning plastic bags.” :woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

The thing is that Tesla’s been around for a few years now. The problem is that they’re more concerned with making cars for the elites, e.g. sports cars, rather than making cheaper, accessible cars. He could do it if he wanted to, but he chooses to make his electric cars accessible mainly for the rich!

6 Likes

And that reminds me of the fact China is banning a lot of plastic (starting in cities), like plastic bags and other things you throw away after 1 use. I mean I have to see if it will actually work, but it’s at least kinda a step in the right direction I guess :grimacing:

4 Likes

Oh, I totally agree then. I’m seeing some other brands trying to get into this industry so probably we’ll still see more affordable options, just not from Tesla

4 Likes

Goverments should take matters into hands and do something about it.
They can organise environmental groups or we should do volunteer work at schools and just focus on that subject, it won’t hurt teachers, don’t worry.
But i have to say that politicians don’t actually do anything, no one is doing anything, at least here. We just focus on our studies and i forgot about climate change, unfortunately.
But smoking in public or inside places is illegal now, i don’t know if that counts

Oh and did i tell y’all i got 3 on the chemistry test? Yeah man, this is way more serious than the world being in danger…

5 Likes

You can’t and the whole climate change is gonna kill us all in 10 years is a hoax for other political goals Greta should be studying instead of thinking and blabbering Al Gore promised we will die in 12 years and I’m still here hello like wtf dude I was waiting actually and no one cares that china and india produces more shit gas than all the other countries combined and that’s my opinion. :v:

2 Likes

We can start by caring more :woman_shrugging:t4: Some people just don’t care about the climate, and some don’t even believe in climate change.

6 Likes

I agree.

3 Likes

make it a MANDATORY lesson.

5 Likes

Wrong

No reputable scientific source says anything even remotely similar to this. What they do say is that in the next 10-20 years climate change will be completely irreversible, so we need to get our act together now while we still can.

I love how much people get triggered over Greta, lol. She’s just a young activist who happens to be correct, and that makes people seethe with anger, it’s great

5 Likes

She can be activist for all I care in her local school, not on the international political meetings. Let’s listen to kindergarden kids about economics and shit then. She’s there to emotionally affect people.

4 Likes

Absolutely, she also happens to be correct. Trying to discount her points because of her age is incredibly regressive. She’s very well educated for her age. Unlike the children that the right wing appropriate, who tend to simply be there for something to look at, she took the stage and took the forefront to make a point that people needed to hear. And more people listened, as you’ve proven, because of her age

6 Likes

I don’t think we can. I think we can slow it down, but the damage has already been done. And that is really, really sad. I can’t believe that in the US we have stupid politicians that don’t believe in climate change.

4 Likes

Oh I love Greta. You know what the problem is with saying that young people shouldn’t be activists? That’s not a thing. That’s the problem. YOUNG PEOPLE SHOULD BE ACTIVISTS! Because we raise the most attention to the issues. Peace prize laureates told me this when I went with my school to go see them. The more young people protest, the more attention will be raised.

5 Likes

Young people should also be as well educated as people like Greta - in what they’re interested in. She knows a hell of a lot about climate science and geopolitics.

5 Likes