Discussion: Is art important in child development?

Art is one of those things that you either get or don’t. Many students love art class and others detest it. Some argue the relevance of arts education, yet multiple studies prove that arts education helps foster self-expression and communication, as well as developing the right side of the brain. What do you think? Is art important in child development?

7 Likes

Oui, it helps with understanding colour combinations and structures which is important in many jobs and in self expression later on :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

2 Likes

I think so! Otherwise, what kind of world would we live in, with nothing but things we detest? If we weren’t familiar with art and such from a significantly young age, we would never like it, and never develop any skills, that really help shape your mindset, and even culture.

2 Likes

Not only does art at a young age help with learning about art, the techniques, and how to develop it, it also helps with life. Art helps with a child’s motor skills, their movements and actions, so basically the coordination body parts. It also teaches the mind hoe to be creative, expressive, open, and just how to look at things in another way.

I kind of disagree with this. I think art is one of the few things everyone gets but not everyone has an interest in it.

Interesting, I haven’t personally experienced a huge divide when it comes to art class. It was basically a time where we just sat and drew and painted lol. Of course there are people who don’t like it, but that’s the case for every subject. Some might find it a waste of time and others may not like to be graded on it because it takes away from the fun.

I think there are truths to the studies, because studies are based research lol. Art gives children a way to express their imagination, a way to learn shapes and forms, they gets to physically do something and develop their motor skills and not just read abstract ideas.

I really should read more on it though.

Yes! In my psychology class we were actually talking about this and there are so many reasons why it is important. More than anything it helps with a child’s motor skills but also other skills like critical-thinking and problem-solving.

2 Likes

Bump!

If you did art as a child, do you think that it helped with your development? :eyes::sparkles:

One hundred percent

Closed due to inactivity