Discussion: Meditation

Meditation is a practice where an individual uses a technique – such as mindfulness, or focusing the mind on a particular object, thought, or activity – to train attention and awareness, and achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state.

It is an approach to training the mind, similar to the way that fitness is an approach to training the body. It has a long history of use for increasing calmness and physical relaxation, improving psychological balance, coping with illness, and enhancing overall health and well-being. The benefits of meditation are numerous and varied, and supported by science. Many people start meditating to manage stress, reduce anxiety, and to cultivate peace of mind. But there are thousands of studies documenting other less-known mindfulness meditation benefits, which can have a positive impact on mental, physical, and emotional health.

How to meditate (simple meditation for beginners):

1. Sit or lie comfortably, prepare to sit still for a few minutes
  2. Close your eyes
  3. Make no effort to control the breath; simply breathe naturally
  4. Focus your attention on the breath and on how the body moves with each inhalation and exhalation. Notice the movement of your body as you breathe. Observe your chest, shoulders, rib cage, and belly. Simply focus your attention on your breath without controlling its pace or intensity. If your mind wanders, return your focus back to your breath

You can learn more about it here.

There isn’t a right or wrong way to meditate. You just have to find what works best for you and find a practice that meets your needs and complements your personality.
There are six popular types of meditation practice:

• mindfulness meditation
  • spiritual meditation
  • focused meditation
  • movement meditation
  • mantra meditation
  • transcendental meditation

• What do you think about meditation?
  • Do you meditate? Or have you ever meditated?
  • If yes do you like it/did you like it?
  • Does it/did it help you?
4 Likes

I would like to try meditating. I’ve done it before via an app, and it’s peaceful and relaxing to helps me fall asleep faster.

2 Likes

It’s peaceful. It slows down almost everything around you and you feel transitioned into an infinite moment of stillness that helps you to think clearly and analyze things in a slow and mannered way, unlike today’s world that keeps running faster and faster without a moment to sit down and rest. Meditation is great tool (and free of cost) for those with health problems like high blood pressure, anxiety, PTSD, dementia etc.

I meditate 3-4 times a week, or whenever I feel like catching a break from the monotonous cycle in life.

Of course! And I even recommend it to everyone!

With all these online classes and tests and assignments and internships one after the other, I feel like I am drowning in an endless pit of workload. Ever since online learning has started, I think meditation has been a second best friend to me. The constant feeling of euphoria and anxiousness of thinking about the future which has been getting to me dwindles away after meditating. Also, meditating does help increase concentration, be it for studies or work or anything else you wanna put your mind to.

At first, meditation might seem hard (I fell asleep while sitting for long during my first time XD) but in overall it’s a great method to increase your focus and keep balance in life.

2 Likes

It’s quite cool! I’ve heard about monks being able to lower their heart rate a lot by meditating and also holding their breaths and being showers in ice cold water without blinking. I think that if you know how to meditate you really know how to control your mind and body :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love meditation but I don’t get this part:

Because for me if I pay attention to my breathing I have to control it or I don’t breathe.

2 Likes

Meditation is good for mental health, to just take a break from everything and reflect on things. I don’t do it often but I would try doing it everyday

1 Like

I think it helps you calm down.

I meditate after doing yoga every day, so yeah.

I like it. It helps me clear my thoughts and also refreshes me.

Yep.

1 Like

It’s kinda rad
Depends tho. It doesn’t usually work on me so I don’t see the point, but it does work for others and it’s rad so I don’t mind it.

I tried a bunch of time
I had a friend who was a yoga instructor and I tried yoga because of her a bunch of times, it was lowkey fun but it didn’t have any great effect on me :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

It stresses me out? For some people its nice, but I just get more stressed.

I don’t. Ive had to a couple times and only got more stressed.

Hated it. It was at least better than the yoga with it.

Not at all. It doesn’t relax me at all…

-Love it
-Yeah I try to do it often
-yer
-yes

I think it’s great! It helps me fall asleep easier.

Yes, I like meditating on occasion.

Yes, it helps me achieve peace with myself.

It helps me become calmer and less emotional.

I’d recommend the app Headspace if you’re just starting out ;))

1 Like

I think it’s going to be a great thing to do, so I might try getting into it. I love peaceful and relaxing things

no xD

1 Like

I think meditation is amazing.

I meditated a lot in one of my classes last semester. Whenever we were online, we’d do a ten-minute meditation once a week.

Yeah, I did. It really helped me destress and refocus myself

Added the #opinion tag :blossom:

I’ve tried it, but I haven’t done it in a while. At my job, we’ve had a few mindfulness courses where we learned to meditate, and I also tried it with one of the therapists I saw last year.

Closed due to inactivity