Discussion: Pablo Picasso

Pablo Picasso was a Spanish artist. He’s seen as one of the most influential artists of the 20th century, especially because of his Cubist works.

This is one of his most famous paintings: Guernica

What do you think about Pablo Picasso and his art style?
How do you like that artwork?
Have you seen other pictures of him? Do you like them?
Do you have a favourite artwork by him?

5 Likes

This artwork looks weird :eyes::eyes:

2 Likes

I was really surprised to learn how much work Picasso produced and how experimental he was. Most people know him through his abstract paintings but he vacillated often between subject matter, style and even medium. Painting, sculpture, ceramics, poetry, he did all the art and it wasn’t in linear succession but back and forth never committing to one thing or one way to do something. My favorite book about him is actually a cook book called Picasso, bon vivant by Ermine Herscher featured here:

1 Like

My favorite painting is Les Demoiselles d’Avignon, 1907

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure… I did learn a lot about Cubism in my class but it was never my favorite topic, I do find it interesting though! And I prefer analytical cubism more than synthetic cubism!

Girl with mandolin is my favorite painting of his, Portrait of Ambroise Vollard being the second. I do love that look of a broken glass but it’s not just him, Georges Braque was excellent too!

1 Like

I think the way his art style has progressed through out the years is very interesting. Really puts this quote of him in perspective, doesn’t it?

" It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child"

2 Likes

Lol, I just had to start with his full name, when I saw this searching for more background of him and his art my reaction was like :scream:

Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso

Anyway, time to get more serious and focus on the art.

What do you think about Pablo Picasso and his art style?
I can totally appreciate his very unique art style and how out of the box his art style is! He’s not my favorite artist but I love how his art kinda makes me think about certain things differently in some way :thinking:
How do you like that artwork?
I like it but it’s not my favorite!
Have you seen other pictures of him? Do you like them?
Yeah I have, I like most of them!
Do you have a favourite artwork by him?
images
I don’t know what exactly it is, but I just love this art piece :see_no_evil:

Ah I love that!
This is a bit off-topic but William Utermohlen has a good series of self-portraits too! Though he started creating them because he had Alzheimer’s.

2 Likes

I really like that he went through different art styles and tried out different stuff. I still prefer the art he made during his “Blue Period” because the colors are just amazing and I enjoy looking at those drawings more than at those he made at the end of his life.

1 Like

His artwork has a really strong style to it, which I’m not particularly fond of. I don’t really like how the anatomy of the characters is so messed up, although it does look interesting.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity