Discussion + Recommendation thread for Three Men in a Boat

I cannot stress this enough- buy three men in a boat! It’s just gah! I really hope people here have read it because it’s really good. Basically, it’s about three men on a boat with a dog… In like the 1860s! They’re gay. The book was written in like around that time. So being gay wasn’t allowed. But the book is incredibly gay. So gay that anyone who is homophobic will just find it to be a normal book, while anyone reading who is accepting/gay will find it to be incredibly vulgar. How that is done at the same time I just- can’t deal.
It’s unbelievable how this book was actually PUBLISHED.
And it was written by Jerome K. Jerome who was 100% gay. He also wrote article things - one of which he gave code to his viewers to meet up with him lol. For totally straight and normal things.
But despite being a funny book, it also discusses the fears of being gay during that time. One chapter features this character George, and George is going out for a late night walk and describes police men watching him… and more and more policemen coming and watching him until he went into his house… And it goes from those types of things and to darker things to lighter more idiotic aspects of the book. (Because our three men are all complete iditots).
I just- READ THE BOOK!
@Bookworms

3 Likes

And get the wordsworth classics edition! If you really get it tag me and we can discuss lmao.

Oh… I have read it but didn’t find or realize any gay aspects to it. Maybe because I wasn’t that aware that time :sneezing_face:

1 Like

Dude read it again! We can have a whole reading thing for this lmao! Just read it again with the context that the dudes are gay!
Did you read it for like a lit class or just on your own?

Three men in a boat, not five feet apart because they’re gay.

1 Like

Like how can people not find this gay, “well I did feel a little queer once, I confess. It was off Cape Horn. The vessel was wrecked the next morning.”
That’s in the first chapter. Page 12 if anyone wants to go and look lol.

And also they crossdress as well! Like, when they first go out to go to the boat they describe people stopping to look at them… even this murderer does. Like- what exactly are they wearing to get that much attention? And it is also described as a wedding.

Just added some tags

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity :innocent: