Discussion: Seizures

Anyone here who experience seizures/have Epilepsy?

I want this place to be where we can discuss Epilepsy and anyone who experiences seizure like activity and their experiences.

QUESTIONS OR IDEAS ABOUT TOPIC TO DISCUSS:

How do you deal? What goals do seizures prevent you from accomplishing? How does medication affect you? What kind of seizures do you experience? What are more symptoms of seizures for you or generally?

If you don’t have seizures, what are your conceptions about them?

What are things you think you can do to help a person experiencing a grand mal siezure?

WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN SOMEONE IS HAVING A SIEZURE (www.cdc.gov)

• Do not hold the person down or try to stop his or her movements.
  • Do not put anything in the person’s mouth. This can injure teeth or the jaw. …
  • Do not try to give mouth-to-mouth breaths (like CPR). …
  • Do not offer the person water or food until he or she is fully alert.
Myths about Epilepsy (http://www.epilepsy-ohio.org)
  1. You can swallow your tongue during a seizure.
    It is physically impossible to swallow your tongue.
  2. You should force something into the mouth of someone having a seizure.
    Absolutely not! That’s a good way to chip teeth, puncture gums, be bit or even break someone’s jaw. The correct first aid is simple. Gently roll the person on one side and put something soft under his or head for protection from injury.
  3. You should restrain someone having a seizure.
    Never use restraint! The seizure will run its course, and you cannot stop it. Simple first aid to prevent injury is best.
  4. Epilepsy is contagious.
    You can’t catch epilepsy from another person. Period.
  5. Only kids get epilepsy.
    Epilepsy happens to people over age 65 almost as often as it does to children age 10 and under. Seizures in the elderly are often the after effect of other health problems like stroke and heart disease.
  6. People with epilepsy are disabled and can’t work.
    People with epilepsy have the same range of abilities and intelligence as the rest of us. Some have severe seizures and cannot work; others are successful and productive in challenging careers.
  7. People with epilepsy shouldn’t be in jobs of responsibility and stress.
    People with seizure disorders are found in all walks of life and at all levels in business, government, the arts and other professions. We aren’t always aware of them because many people, even today, do not talk about having epilepsy for fear of what others might think.
  8. With today’s medication, epilepsy is largely a solved problem.
    Epilepsy is a chronic medical problem that for many people can be successfully treated with medication. Unfortunately, treatment doesn’t work for everyone, and there is a critical need for more research.
  9. Epilepsy is rare and there aren’t many people who have it.
    There are more than twice as many people with epilepsy in the U.S. as the number of people with cerebral palsy (500,000), muscular dystrophy (250,000), multiple sclerosis (350,000), and cystic fibrosis (30,000) combined. Epilepsy can occur as a single condition or may accompany other conditions affecting the brain, such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation, autism, Alzheimer’s, and traumatic brain injury.
  10. You can’t die from epilepsy.
    Epilepsy is still a very serious condition and individuals do die from seizures. Experts estimate that prolonged seizures (status epilepticus) are the cause of 22,000 to 42,000 deaths in the U.S. each year. In a major study of status epilepticus, 42% of deaths occurred in individuals with a history of epilepsy.
  11. You can’t tell what a person might do during a seizure.
    Seizures commonly take a characteristic form and the individual will do much the same thing during each episode. Behavior may be inappropriate for the time and place, but it is unlikely to cause harm to anyone.
  12. People with epilepsy are physically limited in what they can do.
    In most cases, epilepsy isn’t a barrier to physical achievement, although some individuals are more severely affected and may be limited in what they can do.
Tags (half random, half not)

@LHT @Soleil @ShanniiWrites @Camila @elixr @passionfruit @courtana @CerealKiller @liyahsdiamond @Soleil @Chocolate_Mama @TheDancingFryer @SnowyStar @L.C.R @benitz786 @Bonswayout @OhSumana @minoesje @Meekepeek @SnowQwueen @WolfGamerGirl37 @_Jelly_Cake

Tag people to help with spreading awareness so people who suffer from seizures can trust that if they were to have a grand one, they can trust that they’ll be helped in the best way possible.

7 Likes

I’m gonna be a bit shocked rn tbh only cause

1. Idk anyone else who is epileptic

2. Not many people know what it is so i don’t open up about it

3. I legit might cry cause if there’s other people on here who experience seizures then i think I’ll finally not feel like I’m alone for the first time since i was diagnosed 14 years ago.

Umm I’ve been through a lot when it comes to my epilepsy. I’ve been in car accidents, almost gone into cardiac arrest, I’ve had concussions, fractured my nose, and right now I’m trying to get my health insurance to fully cover the dental implants that i need. I’ve been bullied in school because of it. I’m 24 with no license. I struggle with ptsd and the trauma is just the worst.

It’s been an extremely long 14 years of pretending to be okay.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I have the right to give myself that title but I have now been put on medications because I have seizures. I’ve had two grand mal seizures, both I woke up feeling like I was dying. I have many more seizures that don’t conclude to me losing consciousness, but it gets in the way sometimes, sometimes it lasts and restricts me so much that after I have control, I cry.

That really hits reading that. I’m so sorry about your struggles, I have yet to ever have been through that kinds of affects of seizures as I’m only 15, cannot drive, and only since July that I’ve experienced seizures.

I’m assuming you’re on medication for it, as well am I, I’ve finally gotten put on meds and I was wondering, do you recall how it made you feel the first while that you were put on them?

1 Like

As to why I want to spread awareness, I believe it’s only fair. It can be very painful to live with.

1 Like

I’ve been on many types of seizure meds since i was diagnosed at 10. As you get old since your body is changing the meds will to in order to control it. It’s always made me tired. Like i could take it at 8am and end up taking a 4 hrs nap later in the afternoon. Which i did today lmao. Finding the right meds will take trial and error especially since you were recently diagnosed and have had a few grand mal seizures. Later in life you could end up developing stare seizures as well. Not everyone has those.

Usually when i know a seizure is coming on is when i get headaches constantly or feel dizzy and lightheaded. Sometimes when I’ve had a stare seizure one after another it’s another sign that I’m going to have a grand mal seizure.

It can be very painful. Last year i had a seizure in my kitchen in the pool of my own blood. I hit my head on the counter and knocked my front teeth out and when i fell i fractured my nose.

This was on the way to the hospital

This was 3 days after the seizure

I’ve heard that by many as well.

Interesting, I figured it was happening the second time when I dropped my controller in my chair and couldn’t control my movements.
The seizures I have most are what I believe what you call focal and as well as myoclonic seizures. They last seconds but they occur multiple time in a day, whether it’s minutes in a row (most the time) in one hour time or hours through out the day.

State seizure?

1 Like

I meant stare seizures. Like when you zone out. Everyone is different tho and everyone’s experience is different as well

I’ve had a couple of those actually.

I wish you luck with your Epilepsy, though, it must really suck. Just try your best to take care of yourself, and do not feel alone. Spread awareness. You deserve to be recognized.

I could have a seizure if my shunt malfunctions…

Your shunt?

1 Like

Yep. A port in my head.

What’s that do? (Please PM me the answer, I want to stay on topic here.)

1 Like

Just added a couple tags and moved the topic to the Health & Beauty section.

Bump…

Sorry, I’ll pm you now.

Bump

Fact of this topic:

“One in 20 people will have a one-off epileptic seizure at some point in their life (although this does not necessarily mean that they have epilepsy ). One in 50 people will have epilepsy at some time in their life (not everyone with epilepsy will have it for life ). Around 87 people are diagnosed with epilepsy every day.”

Quoted from here.

1 Like

Reminder that you should NEVER try to stop a siezure. :warning:

1 Like

Exactly! Just let it run it’s course.