Discussion: Should Minorities Get A Higher Chance At Getting A Scholarship/Hired?

Because when it comes to things like wealth, status and power, inheritance means that it’s hard for those things to correct themselves naturally.

And I’d much rather scholarships to help people than the alternative: quotas or, you know, outright violent revolution

5 Likes

It’s funny, affirmative action plans just make getting into uni or jobs easier, it doesn’t make the job easier. So when the people who get in do well, it’s entirely off their own back. Getting into a job is just the start, and people treating affirmative action like it makes people more likely to easily sail through life are just plain wrong, lol.

Like, for instance, women are now out-performing men in the education system completely. Everywhere. And suddenly people are saying it’s because of affirmative action, that it’s deliberate? No, it’s just demographic change. Roughly the same amount of women get into universities as men now, women are just doing better on average :joy:

6 Likes

Also I wanna say about affirmative action, there are so many people who want a job and would be well-suited for it when it comes to jobs these days.

What affirmative action does is say “if these two candidates are equally great, maybe we should choose the one from a marginalised background”

5 Likes

And yes, they are wrongs. While most people who are alive today didn’t do anything wrong, many of us who inherited wealth got it down the line from people who accumulated it through exploitation of others.

Like, lots of people in America have slave owners in their family line. Does that mean the people alive today are bad or evil? No. But does it mean that them being more privileged than everyone else around them is wrong? Yes!

And I will always be against pulling people down. That’s why sometimes we need to take active measures to raise everyone else up to meet them.

5 Likes

Nope

I think everyone should get an equal chance based on skills. It would be kind of putting minorities above others which isn’t good in my opinion. Nevertheless they shouldn’t be judged on the fact they are from a minority just on their skills.

2 Likes

Bump

Nah mate, work for everything you have and then you won’t owe anyone a thing

1 Like

I don’t think someone’s origin is a relevant reason to give him a scholarship or get him hired.

1 Like

I think it’s racist :woman_shrugging: Both to minorities and to white people, just for different reasons.

1 Like

Scholarships are different from admissions, so I think there are actually different answers to the race question for admissions/race and scholarships/race.

I think it’s fine to have scholarships based on ethnicity and other arbitrary factors. Truly, the best would be to have college be affordable for EVERYONE, but since it’s mostly not, scholarships are available but require work to find. Therefore, if you’re black and find a scholarship for you, that’s awesome. There are many for people of all ethnicities, interests, etc, but they take work to find. Is it fair that it may be harder for a white student to find a scholarship? Not really. But it’s a small, small thing in comparison to the debt of slavery that was never repaid to freed slaves after Lincoln was shot and that’s not fair either. Surely, two wrongs don’t make a right, but generational wealth was inaccessible to most black families because of this loss of reparations and statistically the median white family has over 5 times the net worth than a black family (https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/reports/2018/02/21/447051/systematic-inequality/).

As for admissions, in this case, I am opposed to black students with lower scores getting in over white students. I think it hurts everyone, since if the black student doesn’t succeed, they are fuel to the fire.

However, college admissions is not based on test scores alone. It is much more wholistic. For example, Becky with the bad grades who sued University of Texas because she felt she did not get in because she was not a minority, did not have the grades to get into the automatic admission level. That could mean that someone with her grades (or just about) got in because the university considers racial diversity in admissions, however, they could have written a better essay, been a better artist or athlete, or something else the school also considers, in addition to race. We cannot know that race was the deciding factor. In fact, the “I would have gotten in but I’m white” was just the narrative the lawyers fed to the media to try to roll back affirmative action altogether. (https://www.propublica.org/article/a-colorblind-constitution-what-abigail-fishers-affirmative-action-case-is-r)

This might be the next court case to the US Supreme Court on affirmative action (after Abigail Fisher vs University of Texas) because in fact, it can hurt your application to be Asian American. Not because you’re assumed to be smarter, but many Asians with high scores are rejected to top schools because it’s believed that there is a limit so that the entire school isn’t Asian… I’m reading up on the NYTimes coverage of the court cases so far to see what might happen. (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/us/harvard-admissions-lawsuit.html)

I’d like to see data on this because many studies have shown that a resume with a white male name get many more interviews than that of the same with female and minority-sounding names. (https://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html)

I feel like many might feel like minorities get jobs because of their race more often because it’s immediately obvious when someone is a minority. However, we don’t know how many jobs they’ve been rejected from because of their race since that’s hidden.

Again, I’d just have to see the data.

5 Likes

No, it should be about you and your achievements and you’re own potential.

Picture this: two people have the exact same grades, and their entry essays were equally as good. One is white, the other is black.

However, the white person is very good at sports and has been working hard at their sport for years, and are just reaching the top of the leaderboards.

The black student only has their grades, but they get the scholarship because they are black.

Tell me, how exactly is that fair?

1 Like

Not fair! They just do it to not seem racist. But it’s unfair. It should be about their education, not their race…

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity.