Discussion: Sunflower Lanyard

For those of you who don’t know, the Sunflower Lanyard was made so that people with hidden disabilities could wear them in public places as a sign they may need extra assistance.

However, some people misused this as a mask exclusion thing which it isn’t on it’s own, you still also need to have a pass if you’re excluded from mask wearing.

So the scheme got kinda ruined by people who were using it as mask exclusion instead of the intended purpose for hidden disabilities.

At least this is what I gathered from reading, I thought it’d make a good discussion!

Did you guys know about this scheme?
What do you think of it?

@Discussions

Here’s the official website

3 Likes

I love this idea. Where do I get one? I kinda need it.

I know that they were handing them out for free, (you don’t need to prove you have a hidden disability) in certain shops but I don’t know if the scheme was cancelled after people misused it.

I don’t even know if the US have it

1 Like

Damn. I’m in the US.

1 Like

I just had a quick check, apparently they do use it

1 Like

https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/
Found the official website.

1 Like

Oh, good. This would really help me. Unfortunately, I don’t know if people know what it means here.

1 Like

That’s why people are trying to raise awareness of it and stop misinformation, it’s a good scheme that was almost taken over by anti-maskers

And yes there are some conditions which can exclude you from wearing a mask but the lanyard isn’t a mask exclusion sign, it’s for people with hidden disabilities

1 Like

Right. I have visual and walking disabilities, which aren’t always noticeable.

1 Like

Yeah so the lanyard would be a good thing for you to be able to use, it can tell people subtly that you may need more time to do something etc

1 Like

Right! Also, I have a story about that. I was at Chick fil A and couldn’t see the menu. I pulled out my phone and used my camera to zoom in. The kid in front of me thought I was taking a picture of him. Nope. I don’t even know you.

1 Like

I love this. Though when I first saw the thread title, I thought @lollipoplady was making her own lanyard. HEHEHEHE. But seriously though, this is such a great idea. It can help people with disabilities have the support they need/want while also not by having it at a distance.

2 Likes

Hahahaha I almost thought the same thing when I saw the title…
I was like… did I actually make a lanyard and post a tutorial here?

1 Like

BAHAHAHA! I love how you almost thought you can posted it here previously!

1 Like

I think one of the best things about the lanyard is the cards you can get with it that say what your hidden disability is or why you’re wearing the lanyard. It’d honestly make it a hell of alot better for many people who need assistance but may not be able to speak at the time, it’s such a good scheme and I really hope it can be made more well known.

1 Like

I have to get one. I just don’t know where…

Closed due to inactivity