Discussion: Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)

The sustainable development goals (SDGs) are a collection of 17 global goals set by the United Nations General Assembly in 2015 for the year 2030. The SDGs are part of Resolution 70/1 of the United Nations General Assembly, the 2030 Agenda. (source Wikipedia)

Lol, on this matter being an international development student really shows.

Anyway in relation to the things brought up in the eating vegetarian discussion and the fact I came across them while studying I wanted to make a thread about them.

Please inform yourself by actually reading them before replying

My questions:

1. Had you heard of those goals before? If yes, how?
  2. Do you think goals like this are necessary?
  3. Do you think having global goals like this is beneficial?
  4. Do you think those goals are realistic, why?
  5. Do you agree with all of them or would you leave one out or add another one, I am curious to hear!

In my replies you will figure my answers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Lol, people don’t seem excited about this topic that much, so I am gonna start it of myself so there is some start…

Uhm, no, not before I went to university at least. So september 2018 was the first time I heard about them.

Yes, there is no denying that this world needs a change on so many different aspects. Environmen and equality are the main reasons why it’s important in my opinion. And we shouldn’t forget a little less than 10% of the world’s population lives of less than $2 a day.

Not really tbh, yeah it’s made by the United Nations so almost every country ‘supports’ it, but it has no consequences and its definitely not a main focus for a lot of countries. So it’s definitely not extremely effective in my opinion besides that it maybe generates a type of peer pressure if all countries succeed besides a few…

Not really, mainly the no poverty and zero hunger definitely are not reachable cause I don’t think you ever can get it to 0. I feel like a lot of climate once could be reachable if there would be a serious effort from all countries.

Yes, they all add to something. Even tho not all have the equal amount of importance in my opinion I feel like it’s a good thing they are all on there. Personally I would have loved to see some LGBTQ+ acceptance goal as well but I know that’s impossible right now for quite a few countries. Maybe also something like no discrimination based on race, sexuality, gender or religion.

Hope my answers will give this thread a little boost cause I find it important, also for people to know and talk about it. That’s also goal 17, to get awareness for the actual issues in this world.

1 Like

Nope :eyes::sparkles:

Maybe? I think that humans shouldn’t have to set a goal first if they want to improve something. Just start doing something instead of making promises and setting goals :woman_shrugging:

Not really. They show that we try to improve, but they don’t actually help us with anything, they are just empty promises to me :woman_shrugging:

Some of them. But most of them would require people to change their ideology and opinions and most people won’t agree to that. Money is still more important than everything else to most people, so some of those goals seem very unrealistic to me.

I agree that those goals are important, but most of them could be left out because they are just the same thing in different words. I think that there should also be something like a goal for mental health, but I don’t know if that would make sense :woman_shrugging:

sorry that it took me so long, but I had a lot of other notifications :eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Lol, I totally thought I replied to you already on this, I hate my internet connection :roll_eyes:

I do agree with you on this, the time invested in making the goals could have also been used to actually do things.

Hmm, I would rather say they are half full promises :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I mean by making those promises you kinda have the social pressure to actually try to change something but as I said there is no consequence as country if you don’t reach the goals…

Truest thing I heard today :clap::clap::clap:
But yeah a lot of money is needed to come even close to reaching the goals so that’s definitely something that prevents it.

Hmm, can you give an example of that?

That would be a good addition! I would definitely like to see improvement on that area as well. Also all around the world, students dealing with burn outs and PTSD in war areas are just a few examples I could think of.

1 Like

For example point 13-15 are about the climate and environment, for me it’s almost the same because by actively doing something against climate change you also help to support the goal of life on land and underwater.
5 and 10 also sound similar to me, but it irritates me that 10 says reduced inequality and not no inequality, meaning that they don’t think themselves that a world without inequality can exist…
And it irritates me that it’s a goal to have life on earth… What do they want to say by that? Do they think that we will die out soon? :eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

5 is specifically about inequality between man and women, while 10 is more economical as in not having 50% of the income of the country with the richest 10 or even 5%, but I do see how they can confuse you by looking similar!
And I agree that they could have just put 14 and 15 under 13 basically, that doesn’t really make sense to name those specific things…
Lol, now you say it, it does look like that, do they secretly know more about the future on earth and will humans die out soon :eyes::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Interesting…

It could be achievable, and it could not be.

Lol, it took you 25 days to come to that conclusion? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Lol!

I was weighing the pros and cons, but yeah. I don’t think equality itself will be achieved, but most of the things can be.

It’s great food for thought

I did not see this before! I always feel really bad because I like eating meat, but it’s not the most sustainable thing in the world!

Closed due to a lack of interest in the subject