Discussion: Swearing infront of children

Do you think it is ok to curse infront of children?

Personally I think it isn’t but if you slip up then try not to draw attention to it because the kid will think “oh that’s a special word”.

It saddens me to hear primary school children swearing in context so personally for me, swearing infront of kids is a no.

Do you think it is ok?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

7 Likes

It depends on the kind of swear word :eyes::sparkles:
It’s okay to say words like sh!t, but I would never say something like f*** in front of children :eyes::sparkles:
I don’t like swear words in general, but I still don’t think that you should completely change the way you talk just because of children… :eyes::sparkles:

6 Likes

I think it depends. Like I think lighter words are okay as long as you’re okay with the kids saying them.

4 Likes

Like… uh… damn.

2 Likes

Only stupid, dumb, idiotic, idiot, d!ck, maybe? But no
C word
F word
Sh word

2 Likes

In my opinion, it’s not okay to swear in front of children because they’ll probably end up remembering the word and saying it later on.

6 Likes

That has happened to my younger sibling :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Nope. Probably not okay.

3 Likes

Same for me.

2 Likes

The only time I’m not allowed to swear is when the extended family are around :eyes::joy:

I don’t really see the problem with kids hearing swear words because they hear them everywhere. Some teachers swear by accident and so do a lot of adults

4 Likes

SHOOK.

3 Likes

Yeah, the real world swears. They’re gonna hear it, idk why you would want to shelter them from that. I feel like having kids understand that those are adult words and you know the importance of them and stuff… and that they offend people.

6 Likes

I’m in college so it’s a little different but whenever I hear one of my teachers swear I get so confused

5 Likes

They are not nice words and just because they exist and “the real world” says them, that doesn’t mean you should be effing and jeffing around your children. :joy:

Like I said if you slip up it’s fine but don’t draw attention to it. I was watching a show with my friend and her 5 year old sister, a character said the T word and I was like “is this okay?” And my friend was just like yeah don’t worry about it she didn’t even notice

6 Likes

Like don’t make a big deal about it but try not to do it in the first place.

1 Like

My personal opinion? Definitely not. Yes, they are going to hear it from people eventually, but if you are the parent, you should model the behavior you want your children to have. If you aren’t the parent and you swear a lot, you should probably make sure the parents don’t mind if you swear in front of their kids.

8 Likes

Thing is from a young age, I always knew there were these “bad words” so I didn’t say them. But I learned them on TV and from the age of 9 I started swearing which thinking back on, was not a good thing. I didn’t do it infront of adults though because I knew these were “bad words” but I still said them :joy:. Because of that I know when to restrain myself from swearing at inappropiate moments. Whereas the kids that have had their parents swear around them and at them from.a very young age just say these words like they’re nothing and it sounds so annoying.

With that said, I do think people put too much weight on words. Swear words don’t offend me because they hold no power other than the power I give to it. But to a kid who says that word without knowing the meaning it sounds odd to me.

5 Likes

As an elder you’re a prime example, and kids tend to mimic their elders, so I don’t believe in cursing in front of children.

4 Likes

My parents swore in front of me when I was in primary school. I knew it wasn’t the right thing to do, so I guess it depends on the child. :white_heart:

4 Likes

It depends on the age of the child for me, to be honest. At some point, they’re bound to hear them and it bothers me less. But when they’re like 10? I wouldn’t swear in front of them

5 Likes