Discussion: The Afterlife and Spirituality

I think that some people get solace from that and that’s great but before I believed in the afterlife and spirituality… I was utterly terrified of death. Now I’m not. For me at least, and some people, it is better to believe in something, rather than nothing.
Besides, matter can be created but not destroyed so I think that means that we have to go somewhere, even if it’s a black empty void (but I don’t believe it is that).

1 Like

Matter is just our bodies, we know what happens to those, that has nothing to do with the concept of an afterlife. I don’t believe in nothing, I just don’t believe there’s an after, I think this is all we get and we should try to make the most of it. Why were you afraid of death?

1 Like

I was afraid of being trapped in forever darkness, like only being able to see the backs of my eyes and staying like that and not being able to move. Even though I heavily believe in an afterlife now, I do think that if it’s the other way (no afterlife) then I don’t think it’d be darkness it’d just be nothing.
And by believe in “something” I mean believing that there is something there.

1 Like

I think existence is cognition, our spirits or souls or whatever are our brains - our memories, our emotions, our thoughts, our knowledge - once that shuts down we cease to be. If you’re into books there’s a great one called Sapiens: A Brief History of Human Kind by Yuval Noah Harari that goes into the early evolution of homo-sapiens as a species, when and why we developed the capacity for fictional story telling and how that enabled us to go from weak meat bags picking off carrion to top predators. It’s a fascinating read.

1 Like

I’m not religious but I am spiritual/theist. On the more spiritual side of things- I believe that there’s a reason we all have morals and learn these lessons in our lives and there’s a reason why we’re supposed to be specific things. I believe that there is this life because there is an afterlife and that this life is basically experience for the afterlife. So like, we take the lessons we learn from each life (I believe we live millions and millions of lives) and then bring them back with us to the afterlife to help us there.
That just kind of scares me a lot less than the idea of me ceasing to exist.

1 Like

I’m spiritual in a way, it’s just more practical than mystical, I think reading is spiritual, I think learning is spiritual, doing things you love is spiritual. I love nurturing plants, I love the ritual of making espresso or brewing tea, I love the way my brain feels calm and clean after meditation, I love the ambiance of lighting candles and the natural beauty of crystals and the smell of white sage cleansing a room.

I feel like if I do what I want, live my life well, if there’s something after then cool but if not I’m at peace with an ending. What really scares me is loss of body but continuance of cognition, both great grandmothers were pretty sharp until their last but their bodies deteriorated much faster than their minds. I fear being alive and cognizant but unable to speak or move or open my eyes.

1 Like

Oh yeah that sounds scary. But I’d probably be in my own world at that point- just high on life if that makes sense XD.

1 Like

Bump! :eyes::sparkles:

What do you think is the scariest possibility of what will happen to us once we die? :eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

I could try to answer that.

• If people have to repeat their lives over and over again everytime they die.

• Being stuck in a void

• going to hell

• Finding out you were in the matrix the whole time.

• Being reincarnated as a toilet :joy:

Also I have a more religious view of the afterlife.

This could be a good thing if you already knew what the outcome of a certain decision would be, so the second time around, you could make a different decision in order to alter the events and prevent making the same mistakes over and over again.

3 Likes

That’s true but imagine not knowing and then the afterlife would just be you doing your life over again. It’s sort of like the matrix or something.

1 Like

I’m not really afraid of death tbh. I’m afraid of the pain, but that’s pretty much it. I’m have a pretty good idea of the afterlife and I’m not gonna contemplate that it might be wrong till the day I actually die and find out lol.

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I believe in ghosts but I’m an atheist

1 Like

I definitely believe in the afterlife, but I’m not religious. Growing up, I’ve never had religion influenced on me. I live with only my grandma, and she’s very religious. However, she doesn’t influence it on me because I’m not her child lol
Buttttt I believe in it because of what I’ve seen (internet and in person)

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity