Discussion: The Hate You Gives

(I was just about to make a thread about this but @katabasis beat me to it so I ended up copying and pasting)

This is a discussion thread on the book/movie “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas. Here’s a quick description acquired from Good Reads:

“Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.
Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.
But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.”

Here are a few questions to get you started and discuss on the book/movie!

Did you enjoy it?
Did it have an impact on you?
Did you find it to be accurate?
Your opinions on the book/movie?
Anything else you’d want to share about the book/movie?
Do you think that the officer that shot Khalil should’ve went to jail?
@Discussions

4 Likes

Just finished watching the movie and I’m now crying :pensive:

1 Like

OMG yes one of my fave movies. It’s so realistic and it teaches so much.

It did. I cried a lot and me being a POC I was able to relate.

I did, yes.

I have read the book and saw the movie both are very good.

1 Like

I watch some of the parts couldn’t watch the whole thing… My dad will buy the whole thing for by birthday though.

Yes! It made me cry a lot… He didn’t deserve to die no matter if he was a drug dealer.

It’s beautiful

Sadly, yes.:sob::sob:

1 Like

added tags

this movie and book made me cry omg

Ohh! I’ve seen a couple of scenes from the movie and I honestly think it looks pretty good, I’ll watch it if I get the chance to.

@Bookworms have you read it?
@ScreenSloths have you seen it?

1 Like

This is a film, really? I thought it was only a book. (sweat_smile)

Closed due to inactivity