Discussion: The Oscars 2020

Thing is though and this is through no fault of the smaller directors. I’m not likely to have seen their movie because it won’t have been promoted as much and may have only been shown in select cinemas. One of my favourite movies hadn’t even been shown in my country so I had to go looking for it on DVD. So I also think the accessibility of the movies that win the awards gives them the advantage.

2 Likes

I guess that’s true, they look at how much the movies are watched first and probably won’t look at smaller movies. But there’s a difference between small movies and the Hollywood movies that get nominated, like there’s a whole group of movies in between that definitely include movies with potential.

3 Likes

I stopped caring about the Oscars a long, long time ago…

1 Like

I haven’t seen it yet :eyes:
Actually I haven’t seen any rewards ceremonies for this year :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not really interested in the Oscars per say but AURORA performed her bit in Into the Unknown from Frozen and I’m so happy for her because she’s come so far! :raised_hands:t5:

3 Likes

@Jass explained this best. With her other comments as well Race, sexuality, gender, etc. wouldn’t matter if the Oscar’s weren’t so one sided and biased on only nominating one group of people.

3 Likes

Also why does everyone think diversity and artistic quality aren’t compatible? POC, women, the LGBT community etc are capable of making good movies…?

If we had equality of opportunity in the film industry, then yeah, race as well as gender and sexuality wouldn’t matter. But we don’t have that. If “artistic quality” means no marginalized groups what message is that sending?

3 Likes

I don’t watch The Oscars…:no_mouth:

Closed due to inactivity :black_heart: