Discussion: Too Good To Go/food waste

Too Good To go is an app that is really gaining popularity in the Netherlands.
Basically you pay 4/5 euro’s to collect a mystery box with food that otherwise would be thrown away by the supermarket or restaurant. I tried it recently and it was a nice experience.

Our mission is to inspire and empower everyone to take action against food waste. We know that to live and breathe this every day, we need to turn our words into actions. With this in mind we have set out a new ambition - to contribute in every way we can to building the global food waste movement. It’s only when we all come together to fight food waste, that we’ll be able to generate a positive change in society. Too Good To Go Website

I was wondering if people knew about this initiative and what you think of it? Do you think food waste is a problem, and can be solved with initiatives like this? Or do you have other ideas on how to stop food waste? This is the place to talk about it!

6 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. Is it expensive?

2 Likes

Not really, it’s usually like 25% of the price it would normally be, only thing is you never know what you get so there are basically always things you wouldn’t buy yourself. But it’s also nice if you want a change and challenge on what to cook!

3 Likes

I’ve heard about but I don’t think that I would try it because I’m a very picky eater :sweat_smile::eyes::sparkles: but I like the idea, especially since food waste is such a huge problem nowadays :eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

It could be helpful for people who need a bit of a discount because they cant afford it as well.

2 Likes

The USA produces enough food waste to end world hunger for a year :green_heart:

Food waste is a massive problem so I like the idea of this app

1 Like

Yeah that makes it harder. Any solutions that you think could work for you? I know Lidl lowers their prices at the end of the day to only 25 cents for each thing that’s on the date in the Netherlands

Hmh, that as well, it helps people eat healtier since it’s mainly fresh food that’s more affordable this way

I know, the numbers a huge, I don’t understand why they can’t do more about it…

3 Likes

I just try to not throw any food away after I bought it :eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile::blush:

We don’t have that here the prices usually just get lowered by 30% or 50% :eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s already a good start, but it’s only a small percentage that consumers throw away after buying

Most supermarkets work like that as well here, Lidl only started to do the 25 cents things very recently and it’s only there in the last hour of the day the supermarket is open I think

3 Likes

You could stop food waste by like composting and stuff.

We try to not waste food but honestly we end up doing it cuz me parents buy food that isn’t good and the goes bad cuz nobody eats it.

But one way to help not waste food is to freeze bananas that you don’t want that are like waay too ripe, and make banana bread later with it.

2 Likes

It’s a good idea. I’m a little guilty of food waste, I end up leaving scraps on my plate most of the time, although I try not to waste food. If I know I’m not going to eat something, I don’t buy it. :white_heart:

1 Like

B u m p
/ u m p
/ 7 m p
/ 7 : p
/ 7 : 0

It’s a good idea. :purple_heart: :butterfly:

Ohh, I love this initiative I read about, a supermarket will be donating their food waste from the 2 days around Christmas the store is closed to a kinda pop up restaurant where homeless people can get an amazing Christmas meal for free. It’s good in 2 ways and I like initiatives like that, you give people a special evening and prevent food waste

1 Like

By food waste, do you mean the out of date food?

bump

I always feel so guilty if I’m throwing food away :grimacing:

2 Likes

I think food waste is a big problem :eyes:
And there’s a big difference between Best Before and Use By

2 Likes

Even use by is a bit iffy. Like that cheese is gonna be fine for a good 6 months

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity :new_moon: :dizzy: