Discussion: Voting

@Discussions @Debaters

I just wanna throw and share this idea out there.

Only people of ages 18-60 should only be able to legally vote.

Why do I support this? Well that’s due to numerous reasons.

I want to start off first by saying the average life expectancy globally is 72.6 years according to ourworldindata.org. That being said, changing the legal voters ages to 60 would be a good choice because people older might not even see the day of their votes being held in place. As well as that, people that old being able to vote is unfair, as their mindsets and opinions were created and formed most likely by what occurred in their lifetime when they were younger which is likely different than the society and norms they are surrounded by. Their values can be indeed against the people who will be living through what their vote pushes for, creating more tension and less of a like for the government if a whole bunch of 70 years old soon to death learned that (for an example belief which may or may not be true) “being gay is a sin, it’s said in the Bible”. Taking that in mind and recognizing the millions of people apart of the LGBTQ+ community and it’s allies that have pushed hard and still fight to normalize this and bring evidence in numerous reasons why it IS normal and okay will make you look and come to this conclusion:

If you were to vote, choosing between a law that will get passed that says being gay is illegal and a law that says being gay is legal (it’s a far fetch of an example, I’m aware) the older people who possibly learned such a mindset back then, they will most likely vote for that bill to be pass whether or not it’s being normalized in society now and won’t necessarily think that they’re hurting the younger generations that are way more likely to truly be affected by their vote. (That’s just a think of example, keep in mind.)

I believe letting people older than 60 vote creates an unfair system of voting because those older people’s votes can yes, be valuable, but they will most likely push for what they’ve believed to be true while they’re about to die, therefore it’s almost pointless (not exactly, but more on that side) to let them vote. I think it’s important to have more voters of who the laws or candidates one is choosing between that are actually going to be affected by this in the long run.

Not everyone would agree or some have alternatives in mind so

Feedback time!

Here are my questions I’d like to hear back from y’all.

Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?

If you could add more to what I said, what would you add?

What are some alternatives you think to this rule that would benefit people 18-60 but also people older than that, if there even is any?

4 Likes

I disagree and agree at the same time.
While some of the older people may not live long enough to see the consequences of their votes, it still doesn’t mean that their voices don’t deserve to be heard. They still have their own interests (like a good retirement and stuff like that) and excluding them from all decisions including the ones important for the rest of their lives would be unfair. On the other hand, young people should not have to suffer the consequences of some old people’s opinions. So maybe let those people only vote on stuff that affects them?
I actually think that the voting age should be lowered. Especially in countries that take political education seriously. Most 16-year olds here are mature and educated enough to vote in my opinion and most of them have other beliefs than the older population, so counting their votes could change our future. :eyes::sparkles:

(Added some tags :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:)

4 Likes

I definitely agree, I don’t think that it’s necessarily fair to people who are older to just assume that they won’t live for a long time, although for certain issues like climate change it might be fair to say that the issue would have to take so long it would be improbable it would seriously affect most of them.

18 is also such an arbitrary age to start voting, and I don’t particularly agree with it as a concept as I know plenty of people who are younger who are interested in politics and are affected by those choices.

1 Like

i mean ya gotta do it but like theyre all puppets in a rigged system anyway

1 Like

While you do make a very good argument, I disagree. I do think that 18 should be the minimum age for voting since it’s when you’re legally recognized as an adult, I don’t think that you shouldn’t be able to vote after the age of 60. With how long people are living now, that seems way too young and I know plenty of people over the age of 60 who are fully capable of making decisions about their country. People who are nearing the end of their lives know that they’re not voting to make changes for them, they’re doing it for the generations that will follow them and age doesn’t invalidate anyone’s opinion. Dead stop.

@Discussions - what are your thoughts?

1 Like

I don’t know. I do think that 16 would be a good age though. 'Cause there are many teens from 15/16 who do understand voting and politics more-so than many adults.

Only 0-7 year olds should get to vote
It’d be funny and might even be more effective! XD

But how would they even read the ballots :eyes:

1 Like

You have to read those? … oops

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity