Discussion: What do you think of Dog Races?

Okay, I know people are going to get mad at me but I actually enjoyed the dog races when I went to seem them as a child. I haven’t been to one in years since it was my grandparents who would take me down to them in Florida. I can definitely see where people would not like them because it’s the same as the debacle of horse races too. Each time I went down I would place bets on the dogs. If I remember correctly we won a few bets on races. It was a fun experience for me since it’s from happy memories I have. My grandfather was still alive and aware of himself during that time.

What do you think about dog races? Did you ever go to one? Did you ever win anything?

@Discussions

1 Like

Preface: I come from a family of both Dog Breeders and big in Dog Showing.

To me it all comes down to the way the dog is treated it is very much like Dog Showing, if the dogs are treated well, trained well and it is all treated as a fun and enjoyable time then I have little issues with it.

I do have issues with Money being involved to be honest, it encourages the wrong type of owner for the dogs and can encourage mistreatment to get the “best” out of the animal. (Not saying all dog races are like this, just it is a fact that involving money in most things attracts the incorrect type of people)

1 Like

Yeah, I can see what you mean! I think betting can make things much worse like you said.

I agree with this too. As long as the animals are taken care of then I will be okay with it.

1 Like

I don’t think we have dog races here :thinking: At least I’ve never heard about one.
As long as the dogs are treated in a good way, I don’t mind dog races. I wouldn’t bet on a dog because betting is not something I like to do, but I get why people enjoy it

1 Like

Treat them with love and care like they deserve. Greyhounds are beautiful.

1 Like

I’m cool with them. Don’t see why we shouldn’t let greyhounds run, that’s what they were created for

I’ve never heard of any taking place in my country :woman_shrugging:

Thing is, even if the owner only cared about the money that comes out of racing, they’d still have to take the best care of their dogs in order to get that money. You can’t build a winning athlete by feeding it Pedigree kibble and keeping it confined for 23 hours a day (as the lovely PETA state. Common sense is not a friend of theirs). You can’t get the best out of a dog by mistreating it.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity

I’ve never experienced seeing dog races so I don’t have much to say about them but I guess it’s maybe cool, once you’re taking care of your animal and it seems fun, I don’t mind.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity