Discussion: Who can where headscarves?

So I saw this woman who is Muslim saying that non-muslims can wear the hijab because the hijab is about modesty, and their religion doesn’t “own” modesty. She does say tho that only women should wear the hijab or the other coverings and that you should dress modestly since wearing that is all about being modest.

I think I’d agree with that as well. I saw an Episode post once that annoyed me about what characters can wear headscarves… tbh I think that headscarves are just used in so many different cultures so it’s difficult. Like, what if you want to dress modestly and that is your reason for the scarf? Like you want to hide your hair or face to avoid sexualization because it makes you feel safer. Like to me, that is a totally valid reason for a scarf.

I also want to mention that I mean no disrespect, I just wanted to explore this idea and learn some stuff and share my initial opinion :purple_heart:

Anyways, what do you think?

@Discussions

2 Likes

Added some tags

I mean…I can ask my friend’s opinion if you want.

i think if it is for like a play…maybe? idk
to me, it’s based on intentions. i didn’t know you meant face covering ones at first

Well I guess head scarves in general/face coverings.

I also want to mention that I in general have no idea what I’m saying so yeah but thought this would be an interesting discussion.

I have no intentions of going out and wearing a headscarf without doing loads of research to make sure it’s okay, but like I said in the OP I’ve seen tons of different cultures that include scarves so the line is kinda confusing on what you can and cannot do with it.

I personally think hijabs are limited to islamic faiths, but not all headscarfs are hijabs, if that makes sense.
I veil, which is a pagan practice of wearing a headscarf. For me, veiling is about helping me to cope in day to day life as an empath, but it’s also a comfort thing, as I like having that slight pressure around my head. In the future, if I manage to heal through my religious trauma, I may wear a headscarf out of respect for a certain deity, but that is only a possibility and definitely far in the future.

I’d like to remind people that the word “hijab” is an Arabic word and not all Arabic people are Muslim. Also, not all people who wear head covering are Muslim, either. I don’t know too much about the specifics, but I don’t see why, say, an Arab Jew, Hindu or Christian can’t use the word “hijab” to describe their modesty.

4 Likes

People will still sexualise you if you wear a hijab. I don’t think it ‘prevents’ sexualisation, people always sexualise certain people whether they’re covered up or not.

1 Like

Here’s my take:

This only applies if you wear an actual hijab, not a random scarf wrapped around your head. I’m talking about traditional Islamic hijabs.

If you are wearing it for fashion, or wearing it as an accessory then no, it is disrespectful.

This person here made a video wearing the hijab as some sort of aesthetic or cute accessory. What’s unfair is that muslim women are hate crimed, acid crimed and spat on in the streets for wearing their hijab. People respond with Islamaphobia and such when they see women wearing the hijab. But then non-muslims are allowed to throw one on for the aesthetic?

3 Likes

Closed due to inactivity