Discussion: Writing a children's book

Ok, so I recently took on a new wip, which is a series of children’s books I want to write.
My inspiration was actually my 6yr old brother, who told me that I needed to write a book so that he could read it. It was adorable, and now I am. I’m writing them in a way that explains complicated/typically ‘different’ themes, such as diverse relationships, trans characters, complicated families, different religions as well as disabilities - all hopefully dulled down and explain in a way that makes an enjoyable read for the kid, while also showing them that different people exist in the world, and it’s ok to be one of them.

Anyway, would you ever write a children’s book? Do you have any tips and tricks for how to go about doing it? Anything else related to writing a children’s book is also welcome.

3 Likes

I did, actually.

2 Likes

you wrote a kid’s book?

2 Likes

Yeah. In sixth grade, lol.

2 Likes

Added some tags.

2 Likes

nice :joy:
don’t get me wrong - I’ve written a couple of short stories when I was younger, but this is my first time attempting a book lol

3 Likes

thank uu

2 Likes

It was about evil cupcakes.

2 Likes

oop
Love it XD

1 Like

No… children’s books are so… innocent?
If I’m ever writing a book, it’ll contain non PG-13 themes and stuff…

Uhhh just do your best?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I will, because then you have to come up with ideas for the book and other stuff. You have to think outside the box on what you want the childrens book to be about and other things.

Now, for tips. Well, I don’t have any at the moment, um, maybe writing it, include some good life lessons?

1 Like

Yea :joy: That’s the hardest bit I think

noted

yeep, I think it’s easiest to make stories on similar things that kids experience every day, but put a twist on it so it’s interesting

2 Likes

I actually have written a few stories for children. I wrote one ‘diary-style’ story about a 12-year-old girl navigating life. I’ve still got it on my computer. I also wrote a few ‘book series’ style stories about girls making cupcakes, even though there already is an existing series like that.
And last year, I wrote a short story for my oldest nephew. I made him, his family, and his friends into Episode characters, printed it out, and pasted the pages onto an old paperback novel in order for it to look like an actual book.

All my writing is already PG or PG-13 anyway, so writing for children and young teens is my main goal.

Closed due to inactivity