Diversity: Changing Your Language Helps Your Story

Originally published at: https://shanniiwrites.com/2019/04/16/diversity-changing-your-language-helps-your-story/

Diversity can be a hard thing to get right in a story. Here’s how to change the way you speak about diversity to make you a better writer!

9 Likes

OMG bigbump!

Haha you seem excited!

2 Likes

Diversity rules :eyes:

1 Like

Stories are so much more interesting when there’s a diverse cast :two_hearts:

1 Like

Just added some tags

Hey @Bloggers and @Writers, want to write about diversity in believable and non-cliché way?! Take a read of this and tell me what you think!

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (it’s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

2 Likes

ngl, i have issues with how vague the word “diversity” can be, and Shannii explains why very well
and as i’ve said before, it’s much better to think of your characters as people, rather than as a label

i don’t have much to say here because well, Shannii’s points say it all
but there is one thing i do wanna add

you might have that one token character who’s gay, trans, mixed, younger and working class

wow me /hj

don’t get me wrong, having token characters is just lazy and careless, and having ONE token character for multiple “boxes” to check?
yeah that’s not it
however, real life people can be part of multiple minorities, so don’t shy away from making a character with multiple marginalised labels (if you make them into a proper character)

personal details-ish

for example, i’m trans (genderqueer), my attraction is best described as “queer”, Latino, neurodivergent and chronically ill
and hey, i’m still a person on my own!

4 Likes

And we love every part of you! You’re an amazing person!

2 Likes

:pleading_face:
thank you~

3 Likes