Do non-native English speaking countries listen to songs in English much?

In my country, I’d say that a lot of people do listen to music in English, but mainly people who speak English and are from younger generations.
But it really depends, as there are a lot of people my age who may listen to music in English, but they still prefer music in Spanish.

2 Likes

in my country we do, thought ngl here there’s a general… idolisation of the USA and UK so it can be kind of annoying when some people prefer only english songs to local stuff? (though do understand that some people just don’t like reggaeton and that’s most music produced here)
still, i can’t complain because i do love a lot of music in English so yeah

2 Likes

In my country we do but not just in English, in various other languages we aren’t fluent in such as Spanish, Arabic, other Creole languages etc.

True… I really don’t like reggaeton, and I’m not a big fan of banda, but reggaeton is the worst for me because every single reggaeton song that’s played at the neighborhood parties is very sexual. I can’t think of one reggaeton song that’s about romance, life, or anything other than how someone’s body looks, and what the person singing wants to do with it.
I don’t think that, at least in my city, people prefer any nationality of music over the other. Most people I know listen to both music in English and music in Spanish.

1 Like

YES

same with reggaeton ngl
lately (pre covid tho) i had started enjoying just dancing to it but well it was very hard to ignore the lyrics and all, y’know? (tho when it comes to music in spanish i’m a big fan of rock en español (i’m not saying spanish rock bc the vibes are different)?)
and hey! it’s great that they enjoy both english and spanish songs!

1 Like

Do you know the answer to this, @Rose?

1 Like

I forgot to reply to this, oops

I think it depends? Like my parents are from India and they prefer to listen to music in Hindi, but my cousins (who also live in India) listen to both :eyes:

1 Like

No worries

That’s cool. What about you, do you understand and/or speak Hindi?

1 Like

I can understand it a little, but I don’t speak it :eyes:

1 Like

Aww. Still pretty cool to have even a little understanding.

1 Like

Here in the Netherlands a lot of people do listen to English music, even most Dutch singers/bands make their songs in English. However, there is some Dutch music that’s popular. Like in the recent top 10, 3 songs are Dutch the rest is English…

Closed due to inactivity