Do some art styles not translate well from anime to manga?

Yes

A good example would be Berserk, that’s a gorgeous manga but the anime couldn’t really meet it and have good animation. Same with Tokyo Ghoul:re, it kept the art style but the animation suffered. Maybe if somebody else tried it, it could work, but so far we don’t really know that :joy:

A lot of people don’t know that One Punch Man was redrawn, the anime follows the redrawn version from what I know. But I could be wrong there, don’t take my word for it.

@AnimeNerds come talk

4 Likes

Another example is “The Junji Ito Collection”

It’s an anime that adapted some of the stories Junji Ito made into an anime but it honestly just didn’t work. The animation also suffered. I think remaking it as a special black and white only anime would be better.

@AnimeNerds can you think of any animes that you think look worse than the manga or tried to keep the artstyle so much that the animation suffered?

2 Likes

So, I’ve never read the Tokyo Ghoul manga, mainly because it’s too small for me to see, but I liked the animation. That’s just me, of course.

1 Like

Oohh, I’ve heard of this. Haven’t read or seen it yet, though.

1 Like

I mean, season 1 isn’t too bad and I’ll let it off the hook for being pretty and nice colours. But season 1 didn’t try too hard to capture Sui Ishida’s art. Tokyo Ghoul:re did and this is where the animation suffered, it really did just look like a slide show with a voice over most of the time. But if you liked that due to it being an easier way for you to read it than the manga, valid.

2 Likes

Honestly I would recommend reading Junji Ito books, he’s extremely good at what he does and the anime just doesn’t do it justice. Plus his manga are laid out in a way that makes them so clear and easy to read.

1 Like

I’m glad we can agree to disagree. Also, the music. You can’t get that with manga.

1 Like

Gotcha. I can probably find them on Shonen Jump. I’m reading Blue Exorcist now. I’ve started the manga from the beginning.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t think they’re on Shonen Jump, I think you need to buy the physical copies but tbf they’re beyond worth it.

2 Likes

Ugh. I’ll look.

1 Like

There are a lot of shows that worst best in 2D, and when you make it 3D, it looks horrifying.

Claymore’s manga style wasn’t my favorite. I think they gave it a much better style in the anime. I just have a hard time reading it because of the style.