Do you care about who wrote your favourite books?

With the whole JK Rowling transphobia thing, a lot of people are distancing her work from her, some going as far as to scratch her name out of their copies of her books. This poses a question. Do you actually care about who wrote your favourite books? Or do you only care about the work itself and not who wrote it?

4 Likes

I still love Harry Potter

2 Likes

I care about the work it’s self. Though I have only read the first Harry Potter book of hers so I don’t think Jk’s views ruin the collection for me.

It might ruin the authors books for me if it was a Rick Riodian (can’t seem to spell his last name right) though he is very inclusive with his works.

1 Like

I’m the same way. A lot of my favourite books, I can’t immediately remember the author’s name. It might come to me eventually, but usually I have to look it up if I’m telling someone about one of my favourite books.

Yes, so I can find other books written by them. :eyes:

1 Like

I’ll follow works of certain authors if I like their writing style

And I’ll also try not to support stories written by people I don’t like

1 Like

Nah, unless it’s non-fiction or something.
But with fiction, I don’t really care because if I pick up a book, it’s because I like the story… I don’t usually go investigating authors’ lives unless I want to find out if they have more books like the one I just read.

1 Like

A lot. Understanding the author often lets me get a better grasp of the story, without misconstruing it. It’s not really a reason to judge the book, but rather another key to interpret it.

That said, it doesn’t mean I approve of the author. However, if they’re someone I don’t want to support with my money, they usually write things I’d hate to read, anyway :wink:

Most of the time I don’t even know who wrote my favourite books :smile_cat: It’s just really not that important to me.
But if I know the author before I read one of their books and I don’t like the author, I’m less likely to start reading one of their books

1 Like

No, since I don’t really study who wrote the book, but if someone askes what’s the book I’m reading I’ll tell them the name of the book and by whom it was written :sweat_smile:

I do! Because I can’t keep buying merch from a book that was made by a problematic author- it would be like me supporting them because they will keep benefiting from it.

I made a mistake with Harry potter (but eh the book is trash in general so it’s not my favorite

nope.

1 Like

rude sm

1 Like

Mmh not really, except if I really like the author’s writings then I care so I can find another books by them but generally I just care about the works because that’s what I’m reading, not the author themself. Though it’s true that a work may reflect an author, I really care less about the reality sometimes. I just want to escape :eyes:

how sm

1 Like

yOU NO CARE ABOUt author-chan

1 Like

no.

1 Like

YOU MAKE AUTHOR CHAN CRY!

MEAANIE

1 Like

ok.

1 Like

Ok? where’s feelings for author?