Do you like reading old books?

Some older books are a lot better than new ones, but most of the time I prefer newer books because I can relate to the characters more.

What about you? Do you like reading old books?

1 Like

Tbh I didn’t use to. I used to avoid older books because they were kinda hard to read. Now I’m reading them for my literature class. I think that with that class I’m starting to see a whole other side to those books that I didn’t see before. I’m also noticing that the writers that we read (in my class) are much better than most of my books now. They use higher diction and instead of telling you what’s happening or even describing to you what is happening, you’re almost left to figure out the actual meaning behind the story yourself. But I don’t think it’s the kind of thing where you just sit down and finish it in one day (at least for me) you’d have to carefully read the passages. There’s a certain enjoyment in doing that and figuring out the hidden clues, while also having the knowledge that you’re smart for figuring them out. Tbh some books point out things so obvious that I kind of end up feeling like the author spoon-fed me the book…
When I can drive I’d like to go to a library and stray from the “teenager” section and try to find a more challenging/engaging book to read and experiment with to see what I like. Because I’m not really enjoying the books I’m reading rn.(Granted I only have like one book to read lol).
I can’t really analyze the books I have on my shelf because they just present everything to you in an easy to read way and idk… I just wanna be able to circle important stuff man.
It’d be cool to do that out of my lit class (well then maybe I’d find that I’m really bad at it lol).

1 Like

I prefer newer books because it’s usually harder to understand old books lmao

1 Like

I can figure out how to read older books but… I dunno about reading older ones because it usually is in relation to how it was back then and minorities and women were kinda treated worse than today and I don’t support that… :slight_smile: But if I read poems and don’t think about what it actually means I can let that pass. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Uhhh depends on the plot of the story, like I had to read classic books last year but I thought they were actually interesting like To Kill A Mockingbird or Of Mice and Men.

1 Like

That seems a little silly, how would reading old books be supporting bigotry?

1 Like

Yass I love reading older books, like I literally have a good bit of old books from wayy back that was saved back … :brown_heart:

2 Likes

I think I do! I’ve only read older books in my lit class but I find that I end up loving those books! Like the Illiad. When I started reading it I couldn’t really get into it, but now I am and I could go on a very long rant about how much I love the Illiad lol. I want to read more classical things but idk where to start really. I have some Jane Austen stuff I believe so I might just go with that first.

1 Like

Bumpity again.

Yes reading old books make me feel happy inside. It’s really refreshing to read them.

1 Like

What exactly is an “old” book-

1 Like

@Bookworms What about you? Do you like reading old books? What do you even see as an “old” book?

1 Like

Anything that predates me? HAHAHA

1 Like

Well I think there’s different types of “old books”:
Classics, or ones like with old covers and look worn.

But yeah I’m basically reading classics now so…

1 Like

There is such a charm about old books, like there are some massive classics and must-reads from older literature. However, the downside is the way it was written is so different from books today so it’s not easy for everyone to read and if you truly want to understand you need to invest time to understand what’s written and in which context.

1 Like

Yes! Only when they’re not extremely f*cked in their ways. Like Catcher in the Rye, Walk Across America, and Fahrenheit 451 are really good older books. I like the way they word things. It’s more familiar to me.

@Bookworms what about you?

1 Like

Fixed a tag and some emojis!