Do you prefer people to call you by your given name(s) or a nickname?

For a very long time, and I made sure everyone knows that, I hated my name so I only liked when people called me by my nickname. I do kind of like my name now but I still prefer my nickname.

What about you? Do you prefer people to call you by your given name(s) or a nickname?

4 Likes

Nickname, people butcher my given name… all. the. time.

2 Likes

Neither dont call me ever Pfffffft

Idc tbh
I barely have nicknames tht ppl call me

I used to only have my nickname be used by family members, going by my full name at work and school. But, my friends ended up developing this insane rivalry between them (I think they all wanted the first place best friend position?) They started boasting about having come over to my house and hearing my family call me by my nickname, so by the end of high school, I let them butcher my nickname (none of them could ever pronounce it right). I also have a nickname given to me by one of my brother-in-laws which is an even shorter nickname than the original, but it’s the sweetest thing and makes me feel like a real blood sibling to him.

…and then there’s my online penname.

The only places I’m comfortable hearing my full name is work and school. If I hear my full name at home, it’s never anything good. It’s like “get your butt over here right now.” :rofl:

Lol, I hate being called by anyone. Don’t refer to me… ever. Please leave me alone.

Just kidding, honestly, I don’t care. I lowkey forgot what my name was for a f*cking while, I don’t know.

I think I like it better when people call me by my gamertag though. :joy:

1 Like

I agree to be honest. It’s the only formal way to refer to a person so we’re bound to hear it smh.

That’s how it was for me. xD

1 Like

Uhhhh
Most people I know just call me El or something so I’m not fussed either way lol

To be honest, in real life I don’t really have nicknames for me unless it’s family. They are a play-off of my name. No one else calls me back nicknames anymore. For the forums, I go by Wolfie since it’s easier for people to remember on here. There are other users who know my real name but they don’t use it. There is nothing wrong with that though.

Given name, especially if I don’t know you well—definitely not a fan of someone learning my name and then immediately asking for a nickname like no I don’t know you like that

Most people call me by my given name, which is perfectly fine, or a shortened version, either Mari or Mary.
I’m okay with being called by my username, too… I’m in this one group chat with a few members of the Episode subreddit, and some of them call me Post, which I like. :yellow_heart:

Closed due to inactivity