Do You Put Your Political Views in Your Writing?

So this is something I’ve been very aware of in my writing recently. My stories are very often framed by my political views.

The Queen of Freaks is a story of how awful slavery and discrimination are.

The Good Witch is a story about having to hide who you truly are for fear of persecution (like being gay in some parts of the world).

When I’m Gone is about the devastation of war. All of these are also very diverse because I appreciate stories with good diversity and try to do the same in mine.

Then the more subtle details such as me being a Christian start to come out after a while. I mean, The Queen of Freaks, in particular, is full of Christian imagery. The endings fall in line with my political views too, of course. My big thing, though, is that I want people to also be able to read it as a normal story and for my political views to not come across as too preachy.

So I was wondering: is that the same for you in your stories? How much is too much? If you do put your political views in your writing, which ones? And why?

7 Likes

One of the big things I’ve noticed about my stories is they’re most often about some oppressed magical race :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

My political views are there but definitely not anywhere close to as political as say, Derek Landy. The soy boy

4 Likes

Skulduggery is amazing! I haven’t got to the super leftist stuff yet, but I could so see Valkyrie becoming an “SJW” :wink:

3 Likes

She is! She goes on a wonderful rant about the state of the world. There is no ambiguity with Landy’s political leanings

3 Likes

I like to make mine more subtle. I don’t want certain people to get too offended if I make my political views too known. Because we live in a world where making a black person the star of a film offends people who call it “leftist propaganda”.

3 Likes

Indeed

3 Likes

Forget the euphemisms! I’m super political in my stories and we all know that @ShanniiWrites you’re super left wing. You just wanna please too many people!

5 Likes

Dangerous accusations there, Gabbie :wink: But I do try to make my stories enjoyable for everyone. It can be quite hard to escape being political, though.

5 Likes

My story Wimborne does concentrate on Voodoo magic based from New Orleans. :dizzy_face: People have tend to say its racist and very disrespectful to the Christian religion, mainly from the movie Princess and the Frog. I get we are portrayed as these voodoo obsessed people but it’s still a good and exciting thing to incorporate into a story. I’ll just say be careful on how its brought.

5 Likes

I don’t understand why anyone would have a problem with Voodoo magic in Christianity. Like, different beliefs people! :joy:

4 Likes

It doesn’t make much sense to me, either. It’s an important part of a lot of people’s culture!

3 Likes

Not at all. It’s only my latest story, “In Cold Blood”, where there’s a representation of how politics has split the country.

1 Like

I don’t really put politics in my writing like actual real topics. I usually just come up with some random thing like how people should be using pillows in battle or something.
It’s mostly because in a lot of stories, I don’t see much that represents what I believe—it’s mostly the opposite and left wing, which makes me kind of upset.
Then again, I feel it’s honestly better to just keep politics out of stories to make it enjoyable for everyone.

The funny thing is that there’s always political ideas in works if you look hard enough! I mean, we all have our views that we unconsciously put in our work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: even the act of choosing not to be political is a political one!

I guess my question should have been “do you put politics into your story on purpose” :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Bump!

2 Likes

Bump

Not really. At least not that I noticed. My religious views on the other hand, yep. I noticed how I’m unintentionally sorta criticising Christianity.

4 Likes

It’s funny when these things happen unintentionally! I realised a few months ago that my stories are all about a marginalised group fighting for their freedom. lol I need to find a new plot

4 Likes

Whether I intend it or not, my political views sometimes work their ways into my work, on both Episode and Wattpad.

3 Likes