Do you tend to write short sentences or long sentences?

Everyone’s writing style is unique and one of the factors that can vary from person to person is the length of their sentences. Some prefer writing longer sentences while others prefer shorter ones. Do you tend to write short sentences or long sentences?

3 Likes

I write run on sentences like a bad El

1 Like

I dunno. I just do whatever feels right. I learned recently in class that in writing, shorter sentences can symbolize how quick something passes. Like, time wise. So you understand how fast this one thing happened. (We were looking at a passage from “The Things They Carried” for context)

Some of my sentences are so long that I have to go back and chop them up, separate them, or remove them completely (sentence surgery? LMAO). I just dropped one of my drafts into grammarly (I usually do this after a first draft is complete) and it already found one for me! I’ll fix it later:

While I was sure that the celestial being didn’t hear my plea, just as it hadn’t heard any of my prior pleas or, worse, chose not to answer them, my minor ailments seemed to dissipate at the sound of bickering down the hallway.

(for those of you wondering how I would change that, I could go a few different ways. But, here’s a quick one:

I was sure that the celestial being didn’t hear my plea. Hell, I doubted it heard any of my prior pleas, let alone tried to answer them. My aches and pains were easily ignored at the sound of bickering down the hallway. )

1 Like

Long sentences

I pick and choose. I’m really specific about the length of my sentences, and how they’re formed. It matters.

Closed due to Inactivity.