Do you think 14 year olds should be able to have a job?

In my opinion yes I do. I feel if you are responsible and can do a job well then what’s the problem of getting that job? It’s about maturity, if you can show you are mature enough at 14 to get a job then get it. You’d be able to earn your own money and get that sense of independence. I see no problem and even if the job isn’t being done correctly they can always let them go and give the constructive criticism.

How do you feel @Debaters ?

2 Likes

I mean jobs already can tell whether you’re fit for a job, so yeah, I agree if they can handle school with good grades and maintain them as well as handle a job they should be allowed to, but the minor labor laws should be followed because well, they’re there for a reason.

1 Like

Yes lmao
I am currently 15, but I can assure you I want a job now and I’ve wanted one since I was 12-13. Even if it’s like a slightly dulled down version and we don’t get paid as much or whatever,

1. it allows younger teens to find ways (other than illegal and potentially dangerous ones) to help provide for their families, should they be in that kind of a situation.
    It’s not something people like to think about, but if a family is actually in that situation, laws aren’t going to stop that kid from trying to help, they just prohibit the kid from using safe methods.

2. It’s nice to have money. I know far to many other people who have spent all their savings, and are too young to actually start building them back up again, ready for adulthood. My situation is slightly different, but because of it one of the plusses was that all my money has been saved, meaning I’m going to be in a much better place financially. The reason for this point is that if these kids were able to get a job, then freedom with their bank card could actually come hand in hand with being able to keep their funds consistent and have something to keep in a sort of backup. (hope this makes sense)

3. idk just seems silly not to let them. If the child is mature enough for it, and the correct child protection regulations are in place, why not?

2 Likes

They should, but they shouldn’t overwork them by making them do night shifts. They are still children.

1 Like

Yeah, like a part-time one earn a bit of money and learn responsibilities, I think it’d be a great idea if they want one.

There’s a intermidate/middle school teacher in my town/city in New Zealand who bought a coffee cart after Lockdown last year (about June/July). He is still a full-time teacher but sets his cart up along the river (we have a river though our city) and hires his kids/students to run it. He helps whenever they need it. Plus, if anyone wants to work after school, then when the bell rings, he goes home to get the cart and takes it to the river for a few hours in the evening. The students are taught to be a barista and paid minimum wage ($20 an hour), the same way as any other worker would, it’s all legal. Despite the kids being 11-12 years old, it’s a great thing this guys is doing. The kids all love him as a teacher and he’s giving them a bit of pocket money, as well as another great start in the work force (aside from teaching them in school too).

4 Likes

here 14-year olds are allowed to peel bulbs.

2 Likes

Yeah, they should be

1 Like

here at least where I live 14 year olds do a lot of side job kinds of things like painting fences and cleaning pool, mowing lawns, babysitting those kinds of things. I babysat when I was 13-16 which got me referred into working in a daycare when I was 16 which was pretty nice honestly.

Yes, but not to the point where it compromises with their education, health and mental development.

Closed due to inactivity