Do you write the way you talk?

I tend to do this, but when I’m writing dialogue or narrating in first person, I prefer giving my characters their own style of speaking.

5 Likes

Nope lol. Tbh my writing is a bit more sophisticated than when I actually open my mouth to speak. XD. Sometimes yes? Like when i can get a clear coherent argument out I try to make it sound “sophisticated” and that’s kinda the way I write.

2 Likes

I tend to write a bit more formally than I talk, although sometimes I write incredibly casually or talk formally

2 Likes

This

1 Like

As an example, “The guests arrive in white frilly dresses, talking with pink lips and grand smiles.”
Bruh I’d never say that IRL.

2 Likes

Yes :star_struck:

1 Like

Wait

1 Like

When it comes to characters no

1 Like

But like in stories, I give them their own tone and attitude

1 Like

It’s closely related, but no. I give a personality and tone to the narration part. And it’s rather formal than the way I speak.

@Writers

Actually I do write the way I talk. But usually when I talk the way I do here in person, people don’t understand what I’m talking about or don’t understand what words I’m using so it’s a slow process; trying to get them to understand.

Okay so if this is about RPs or just stories I’m writing. I try to write their dialogues based on their personalities. I mostly depends on the personality of the character, the background, their origin (I try to bring that accent in writing as well as much as known to me). If it’s a, y’know, classy professional serious character I’d make them talk and act formally and if it’s a lazy laid back casual type, they’ll talk just normally

1 Like

I actually match the narrator (as if give them their own personality) to the characters so I guess I can say no. I relate to the narrator though, so I guess I can also say yes.

1 Like

Possibly if it’s in a formal way but my narration is definitely not how I talk to others, there’d be way too many "XD"s in a chapter for that. Dialogue is usually somewhat how I would talk but it’s mostly based off their personalities and how I see other people talk too. I want to incorporate them adapting to other people’s speech patterns eventually. But, alas it’s just basic for now XD

1 Like

I often write dialogue the way I’d talk and sometimes I talk really formally so then it comes out making the character sound really stiff and formal ;-; and HALF THE TIME I don’t even notice smh it’s just the other being like “what, are we in English class” skdkfkdm

1 Like

Sometimes.

1 Like

No way. I tend to write formally (or informally), but when I speak, I say several sentences/words wrongly and get everything grammatically incorrect.

LOL you got me there!

Since I’ve started writing my book, I have been writing with the way I speak in general. Then again, it depends on the character and location.

1 Like

I’ve noticed as I’ve been writing lately that there is a certain way I write that is very similar to the way I talk. I want to look into how I can adapt my writing to feel different but was wondering if everyone does this too.
Do you think so, @Quinn & @Cam?

It really depends on the character that I’m writing. If I’m writing the dialogues of kid characters, I’ll make them talk like a kid their age would most likely talk. When I’m narrating, I tend to write the way I usually talk.