Does anyone else struggle with inauthenticity in retail?

So I’m in the food industry and I don’t get paid much lol. It’s mainly for experience. I work in a small restaurant and clean, manage the cash register, prepare food… etc because we’re so small that it’s usually just me and the manager for that shift. And I only work two days a week.

So I’ve been there a while now and I know how to do most everything. I still make a lot of mistakes though lol.

But idk everything I do seems inauthentic because I know I don’t get paid much so I try to get tips, or I do it because I know I’m getting paid. I’m nice but I’m afraid I’m coming off like business-like and closed off. While my managers are way more normal and like friendly, even peppy.

I am introverted, although I do like talking to people but I don’t think I’m the best with customers.

I’m not sure if anyone has experienced this, or has any tips lol.

2 Likes

I think it’s also because I’m not a very relatable person as well lol. Like it’s been hard to find friends in general for me so like relating to random strangers? I can’t really do it and it feels weird to try be friendly with strangers when I know I’m doing it for money.

2 Likes

Tbh that’s probably because they’re paid more than you and sometimes having a position like “manager” can give people a false sense of superiority or power that gives them a confidence boost.

Don’t worry about coming off as inauthentic as much as I want people to enjoy their jobs and reflect that, I know that a lot of people especially in the industry of like, serving people, hate their jobs and do what they can to get by.

I think I’d care more about if you were comfortable :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Added a couple of tags

2 Likes

That is good to keep in mind! Thanks. I guess I just don’t really like feeling like I’m not being nice or am being cold to people/not caring about the customers lol.

2 Likes

I don’t think people who don’t care stress out about the fact they don’t care :joy:

2 Likes

I started working in a clothing store in like October, and I definitely get what you mean ‘cause I’m also introverted and conversation doesn’t come naturally to me. I don’t get tips or commission, but they do keep track of your sales and there’s a goal you have to meet each shift, so similarly my interactions with customers are pretty much always with an ulterior motive, so I get the idea of inauthenticity. But I don’t think it’s a bad thing—like there’s nothing wrong with being more closed off if you’re nice cause they are strangers, after all. Like, as long you aren’t outright rude with them, and you appear to be helpful, kind and somebody who knows a lot about the place, I think people are inclined to like you and therefore tip more.

I’ve found that the more talkative people love talking about themselves or the products, so as long as you appear to be listening attentively and laughing at their jokes, I think they’re more inclined to feel, like, well-serviced. Like, a customer was literally ranting to me about how Britain is the root of the world’s problems lmaoo

And with the managers bit, they do have more experience in this particular job than you do, so I think that also plays a part. I feel like some of these insecurities will fade more as you work longer for them, just ‘cause you’ll get more used to the role and dealing with the customers—at least, they have significantly for me. But I do think that you caring about how you’re coming off to the customers is indicative of thoughtful interactions with them.

But but lastly lemme say that I feel like customer service is largely inauthentic so I feel like as long as it seems like you like the customer, everything’s gouda :relieved:

3 Likes

My friend also tries to seem veeery happy at work and it seems inauthentic to me because I know her. But to costumers, she seems normal and friendly. So, maybe it has to do with the point of view :sweat_smile:

1 Like