Does social media improve or impede communication?

Does social media improve or impede communication?

I think it depends on the people, honestly. So, I can’t really form an absolute opinion on something that’s all based on a sh*t ton of factors.

4 Likes

I’d say the answer to that is both.
For people like me with severe anxiety, social medias provides a “safer” avenue to speak and communicate with others so in that sense it improves communication, but because it’s safer and easier, it can also cause us to neglect or fear real life interaction even more than we already do.

In another sense social media has helped us communicate more sensitive issues or worldwide problems, plus educate and emphasis what might need to be done and spark debates and discussions but it can also cause a rift and divide.

It’s also instantaneous over social media and efficient but some of us have become so accustomed to it and potentially addicted, that in a lot of instances it’s been chosen over face-to-face communication and our skills to interact in person can lessen or even diminish. I guess for some people their reliability on social media for communication is extensive and without it they either will improve their in-person communication or spiral even further so it could either way there.

Blah blah blah, yeah. :joy: To reiterate, both is my conclusion and probably always will be.

5 Likes

both-is-good-both

2 Likes

Both.

@Discussions it seems you were never tagged here, so what do you think?

1 Like

This is honestly such an important question. I don’t know if anyone else has seen this, but NPR was doing a story on a recent study that showed that teens today have the highest rate of loneliness (as compared to past teens). And while the pandemic, and other issues are a part of this cause, social media also is correlated to the loneliness.

Here’s the article in case anyone was wondering

3 Likes

Huh, I’m not gonna lie and say that sm doesn’t make me feel more lonely because it really does
I don’t know what to say about the communication tho… What exactly are we talking about?

1 Like