Do's & Don'ts for Co-Hosting an RP/SG

Co-Hosting an rp can be fun. You have someone you can plot things with, share secrets and you have someone who can help revive the energy without it just being you who keeps posting.

However there are a few do’s and Don’ts that will help make the teamwork easier.

Do’s

1.Communicate.
Communication is key, it always is. What you have in your head needs to be directed to your partner in a clear way so both of you know what the plot is, what the role is of the playersnand what you both need to do.

2.know your roles
Its good to establish roles. Who is responsible for the fc’s and who does the event posts? Who do the players ask for info? You get my drill. If you’re a co-host who pushes all the tasks on the other host, or the other way around where they take all the tasks, it will be hard to be co-host so give everyone an equal amount of tasks.

Take the time to read through the information, maybe even keep a sheet with the progress of the rp so when needed you can recap or explain to new people or people who had to take a break. As a co-host it’s also useful because you know where everyone is and what they are doing.

Don’ts

1.Dissappear without a notice.
This is something that goes for a host as well as the co-host but as players as well. If you have to take a break or won’t be able to help or be online, LET PEOPLE KNOW. it can sting to anyone if your partner suddenly is just gone and suddenly you’re on your own. This has effect for people especially when the dip of activity hits. It can be hard when a rp loses its activity and your partner is just gone and you don’t know why and for how long.

2.shoot down the other person’s ideas.
Let them contribute. If the idea doesn’t work/fit then there’s a good chance they aren’t on the same page as you on what the idea is, so you should find out what’s missing.

See if you’re able to add or knit there idea into yours and be flexible for changes.

@RPers I hope these tips help, and please share your own do’s and don’ts if they aren’t here yet.

6 Likes

Love this. Nice info. For me, I think time-management and communication are the big ones.

it’s no secret that Chai, Cat and i are co-hosting an RP right now, so i decided to revisit this so here are some of my comments + some added advice

DEF
the three of us have a discord GC as well as a forums DM together just so we can discuss everything before hand and so we’re always on the same page
it may take a bit longer than one person alone but i think everyone being on the same page is keay to keep things moving along

We’ve been kinda lax with this and kinda just
take on this or that role naturally
for example, i’m in charge of the FCs (which i swear i’ll update in a bit lol) and organising everything in the… many documents we have created for this lmao
Chai is the thread owner so they’re the one who talks to the RPers the most
and Cat does a lot of behind the scenes stuff, making sure the things we have so far make sense, adding some amazing sub-plots and keeping Chai and i on check so we don’t go too over the top and end up biting more than we can chew

The RP has not started yet so i’ll be keeping this in mind
but the keeping a sheet thing is something we’ll DEF do

Agreed

i’d say don’t shoot the others’ ideas without a reason
sometimes suggesting something may not work (*coughs* Exousía Nuclei (my bad) *coughs*) and someone (Cat) shooting it down can help make things more smooth and can get things running more smoothly
some discussion and disagreement is fine, as long as it’s ultimately constructive and helps move things along

also a huge Do:
Make sure you have a good dynamic with the person/people you’re working with
i know for a fact that making Amoris would not be nearly as fun if i wasn’t making it with my fras
we have a very fun dynamic so bouncing off ideas and making things up for it (we usually have a “yes, and-” thing going on) has been a key part of the RP being what it is now

3 Likes

I honestly agree with everything you said Cam!

As someone else who has co-owned an RP here’s a few things I have to add.

If one owner knows more of the information/is much more vocal while the other tends to be more quiet, have the one that’s more quiet be the thread owner. That way the RPers definitely understand that they are also in charge. I’m speaking from personal experience here. Because since the previous iteration of mine and Ani’s CHB rp, I’ve seen it referred to many times as her rp only. Some people forgot I was a co-owner (I originally started the rp before bringing her on as a co-owner)

I also recommend making sure all co-owners have access to all aspects of the rp. This includes fcs, signups, and any planning documents. Even if one of the co-owners is mainly working on the other aspects, they need to at least have all of the information needed to be able to move the rp forward/keep an event going on their own. That way if the more creative/idea generating co-owner is unavailable, the other/s can keep things rolling.

1 Like