Emetophobia Thread

Hello! SO a while ago I made an “Emetophobia Thread” but it became inactive and got closed. But now that I’ve lived with emetophobia for a while and for a year have understood that I have it, I’m revamping it through this thread to shed some light on emetophobia! Keep in mind that what I’m saying is purely based on my own experience, not everyone with emetophobia will agree to my definition of it and that’s fine! Everyone has their own definitions of what their own things mean to them! But here I’m attempting to provide a definition that everyone might agree with to spread awareness. Also, keep in mind that I’m not a professional of any sort, this is all based on my own experience and what I’ve kind of seen with others. Again, everyone is different as well.

I want to open up this thread to be able to talk about this openly, especially to be able to provide comfort to people who have emetophobia or who think they might. Because of that, I ask people to not share experiences of being sick because that can be very very triggering to those with emetophobia or anxiety with emetophobia. And to not go in-depth describing sickness in general (or gore relating to that) cuz that’s also very triggering and gross. If you get triggered by talk of sickness or use of the words then I suggest that you not read this thread.

So yk, kind of open space in terms of discussion, but since people with emetophobia might read this, we wanna limit the panic attacks that might ensue lol. So no personal experiences with being sick, please! This includes why/how you got sick!

Ahem

Emetophobia is a fear of vomiting. I’ve seen some definitions of it being an “intense fear of vomiting” but tbh I think that’s a bit silly. Yes, it’s true that many with emetophobia have an intense fear of it. But I think that even if you had a minor fear that doesn’t impact your life, you’re still valid and you do have emetophobia.

What’s the difference between fear and just not liking vomiting, though? I’m bringing this up because some people say to people with emetophobia “Oh, I don’t like vomiting either, I must have emetophobia” or other things of that nature. I’ve never experienced this but it’s a common complaint. But what if the person complaining actually has emetophobia as well?

I like to think of it as this: Nobody likes death. I don’t like death. I don’t want to die. But I’m not afraid of it. I’m occasionally afraid of how I might die and the pain I might experience, but I’ve never been afraid of death itself. Yet there are some people who are afraid of it. You reading this might think about death occasionally and might be terrified of it.
You probably have a fear of death, and I don’t. Let’s think about emetophobia in the same terms.
We all don’t like vomiting. We all don’t want to vomit. Yet some people can probably think of vomiting without being afraid of it. They occasionally think about vomiting when the stomach bug comes around, but it doesn’t really scare them although they don’t want it to happen. Except for me, I’m afraid of it happening to the point of anxiety.
I just wanted to clear that bit up because when I was “questioning” if I had emetophobia I saw a lot of people saying it was an “extreme” fear or something and although it is for me now, I didn’t see it as that then. So I’m making it simple- if you’re afraid of vomiting- you have emetophobia. I mean it’s just like any other fear.

Now, a lot of people with anxiety (at least from the ones I’ve seen- have some sort of an anxiety around it). This is what I have. The difference between this and a fear of vomiting is that it’s horrible lol. I mean anxiety is terrible. But with a fear of vomiting added onto it… it almost goes well with anxiety. For a few reasons. One being that vomiting is not something that you can control. Your body just does it when it needs to be done. It isn’t something you can escape or avoid like any other fear, such as a fear of heights. (Although some fears you can’t escape either, like fear of death). I can just not go up high if I don’t want to experience it, but it’s different with vomiting because it’s so unexpected.
And something that comes with anxiety for many people including myself is nausea (along with other symptoms). So having a panic attack can very much mimic the feeling of when you’re about to throw up. When I get very very anxious I start to get nauseous. Never a lot. Sometimes enough to lose my appetite. Then sometimes it goes away then gets worse because I think that because it went away that I’m about to throw up (I know, irrational, but tbh anxiety isn’t really a rational thing lol). So anxiety and emetophobia go hand in hand almost.
If you have anxiety around vomiting as I do, you’ll tend to think about it often. It really does consume your whole life. You’ll find yourself watching the food you eat, places you go, other times people are sick around you… In extreme cases it causes people to not leave their homes and not eat food. You may not be afraid of it everyday, but you’ll get an extreme fear of it often to the point where you might have panic attacks or in general be very very anxious thinking that either you are going to throw up or someone around you is. (Sometimes it’s the fear of other people throwing up as well). This might not be the same person to person tho.
If you think you have this anxiety, I encourage you to speak to a doctor or a therapist or something. There are treatments for this. One is called EDMR which is what I do. It basically helps with overcoming/processing trauma.
If you get moments where you think that you’re going to be sick or others are often, tbh you might have anxiety because that’s how I found out.
And if you have this anxiety then the things you can do to make it easier is to try to stop thinking of it as emetophobia and more as anxiety (Even tho it’s both). I’m certainly not a doctor but it’s helped me when I thought about when I was anxious and why I was anxious and knowing that I was anxious, not sick.

3 Likes

Added tags! This has inspired me to make threads on my phobias.

1 Like

Great tags!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

bump!

I’ve honestly never met anyone that has
Emetophobia like me, so thank you for making this thread!!

Basically my emetopohbia is like this:
I’m not exactly afraid of vomiting myself, but if someone were to tell me they feel like they are going to vomit or are nauseous I will get really bad anxiety which later on can turn into a panic attack.
It’s also kind of weird because once I’ve had an experience with someone where they’ve felt sick around me or have become sick around me, it is forever engraved in my mind and anytime I see them or talk to them I’ll get bad anxiety.
A lot of people have told me to get over because it’s not bad, but it’s almost impossible. I try to calm myself down and say that’s it gonna be all okay, but the minute someone says they feel sick I immediately start freaking out.

Then again I’m not entirely sure if I have emetophobia, and I don’t want to self diagnose, so for now I guess I just have to deal with it lol

1 Like

That’s totally emetophobia lol. This kind of thing is not something you can “diagnose” for. It’s literally a fear. Although I’m afraid of myself throwing up/someone around me doing it, I didn’t realize I had it as well because I didn’t want to “self diagnose” even tho I literally had it lol.

Fair warning, once i found out I had emetophobia things kinda went downhill which led me to realizing that I actually have anxiety and now I’m in therapy lol. I encourage you to like seek help for it because it is something that can be cured but it could also be something bigger as well like anxiety.

Like this has always been a struggle for me but when I didn’t realize it was anxiety/emetophobia I didn’t even recognize how bad it was.

1 Like

Thank you for the information! Have you always had emetophobia or did something happen that caused it?

1 Like

Yeah, not gonna go into it on this thread cuz I don’t wanna trigger anyone. But it did have to do with vomiting, nothing extreme. Involved me being in a situation close to someone who was getting sick and I couldn’t leave.
But it might not have been that, I might just have always had anxiety. Cuz the one thing you have to realize is that it’s not about vomiting, there’s usually some other fear behind it. So yeah, although the thought of vomiting gives me so much anxiety, it’s probably not about vomiting at all.

1 Like

Hmm yeah that’s the interesting things about phobias. It actually goes deeper than the thing you’re afraid of.

1 Like

Yeah
Same for me.
Like exactly th sameeee

1 Like

Reeee this reminds me of when I was in the hospital due to a scorpion bite and they injected some fluid in me to counteract the poison from the scorpion, I knew the fluid would have to come out at some point so I thought it might of come through peeing but rather it came through vomiting and that was a worse experience I had.
I had to force vomit even though the doctor told me not too, but the thing is, when I vomit the acid tends to damage my vocal cords and my nostrils that’s one of the reasons I’m afraid of vomiting because it comes through my nostrils also. :sneezing_face:
I literally had to turn to the side so that the nurse wouldn’t see me placing my hands in my mouth to vomit and it got to a point where the vomit was actually coming out that I vomit on the floor and it was yellow, my eyes were yellow and my urine was yellow. The poison literally tried to take over my whole body which was scary.
When scorpion stings you, there’s literally no blood, the poison just starts running through your body rapidly and it’s a severe pain. I do not one anyone to experience that because it was a life and death situation.

1 Like

When I was 7, I had the type of emetophobia where I constantly had panic attacks whenever I thought I might throw up, However, that only lasted about six months.
I think the same year, I developed the type of emetophobia that I currently have— the fear of SEEING vomit, seeing people throw up in front of me (or in a movie), or even hear very graphic details of what they ate and what it looked like.

I remember that as a kid, whenever I heard that a classmate threw up, I would close my eyes until the janitor came and cleaned it up. Subsequently, whenever I got sick and had to throw up, I’d close my eyes while doing it and then flush the toilet, erasing the evidence.

The worst is when I’m not even expecting someone to throw up, and they just do it violently right there in front of me. It happened a few times when I taught preschool and elementary. I seriously hate it when I’m watching a movie, and someone just randomly throws up. There should be trigger warnings for that.

1 Like

When I didn’t know I had anxiety or even this fear, a teacher showed a movie that was kinda- well really gory. I was already uneasy because gory movies make me anxious because they usually make me feel a bit sick. And the teacher was giving trigger warnings for those scenes tho, but because she did that it made me even more anxious thinking I’d get nauseous from a scene.
Then, a vomit scene came on. And it was drawn out. It was like ten minutes. It showed this girl reacting to this horror of a house by feeling nauseous and the movie kinda exemplified that feeling, so it showed her being dizzy/not feeling well for several scenes. Then, she threw up, and even afterwards it was really drawn out. I could not handle that and the rest of the movie beyond that. Everyone else was laughing at the movie because it was extremely ridiculous- it had Nick Cage in it lol but I was just sitting there, having like multiple panic attacks waiting until each gory scene was over and just staring at my hands.
I’d leave when to go to the bathroom when I thought there would be a scene and I stayed in the bathroom for a really long time lol.
My teacher eventually caught on- but she thought that the movie traumatized me or something lol. I mean, it didn’t. I was so overwhelmed then that I didn’t tell her that I had emetophobia, I just told her that I can’t handle gore. Which I can’t. I just didn’t want her to think I was scared of the movie or something - I’m not.
These kinds of things are tricky for me. I like watching true crime and even some gore but at my own pace. I like watching those things because they are fascinating to me. But when I watch them at home on my own time if I feel myself start to get nauseous or overwhelmed I pause the movie/scene and come back to it- or skip to a part that doesn’t include gore.
I don’t blame the teacher at all, she doesn’t even know emetophobia is a thing. I haven’t really had the chance to tell her about it either. When I do, I will.
I can’t be in a room with someone who has thrown up or is sick. I will avoid them. If they’re using the same spaces as me I will stay in my room the whole day.
@lollipoplady how did you deal when kids would throw up in front of you? I want to be a teacher and that’s always bugged me. Do you have to clean it up? I feel like I might be able to handle it if someone else did it for me.

There’s also the thing of: I don’t want people to feel like they’re walking on eggshells with me. Like, if you’re sick and need to talk about it you can but I’m not gonna hold your hair back when you’re on the toilet. Sometimes it can be helpful or harmful for you to talk about it around me but if I’m getting anxious from the convo I just won’t engage or something.
But yk, avoid talking about it with people who have emetophobia maybe if it’s casual. Like I don’t want to be hearing about violent vomit stories while I’m eating.
Because, thing is, is that I’m more or less always gonna be anxious. Something is always gonna trigger me.
Idk if that made sense or not but yeah. It’s difficult to understand what I need from people/want from people when it comes to triggers. I guess I could some it up by- if you need to get something out, just tell me, but otherwise avoid triggers. Obviously if you’re gonna constantly talk about being sick I might not want to be around you.

For me with triggers, I think it’s my job to leave when I feel unsafe. It’s my job to be able to change the conversation to something that wouldn’t trigger me. Because idk I appreciate when people are like, “Oh sorry” when they mention it but like, it’s weird because I like talking about it sometimes and it makes me feel awkward when people say sorry for accidentally saying something.

Thank God I’ve never, ever had to clean it up! All the schools I’ve worked at have janitors. In preschool, the janitors were usually around because they would take the little kids to the bathroom, and help them. In elementary, it only happened in the classroom once. I screamed and got the kids out of the room as quick as possible. Then, I called a janitor to come clean up. There was one funny incident that happened when I was a Preschool 1 teacher’s aide. The 2-year-olds were coming to visit our class for the day so they could get to know what preschool is like. My youngest nephew was in that group, and during lunch time, he came to talk to me while I was eating. Thanks to me being busy with him, I didn’t witness another kid on the other side of the room throwing up. But yes, always get the janitor ASAP, and try to get the kids out of the room until it has been cleaned up. Maybe you can find out ahead of time if the school has a janitor, so there won’t be any nasty surprises.

1 Like

Oh yeah totally. I’m not cleaning it up.

1 Like

Okay three things I’ve realized not to do with me. I’ve gotten a bit better and realized boundaries. Talking about it might make me anxious so that’s good to avoid if possible but I do like talking about it so that gets iffy so I’m not gonna mention that.

1. I’m not gonna put myself in situations where I think/know I’m gonna get nauseous.
  2. I absolutely cannot be around someone who is sick or who is about to get sick in front of me. If you’re sick and for some reason you have to be around me or I have to be around you (work, school, etc) do not get sick in front of me. Ik it’s like uncontrollable but if you’re my friend, you’re around me and either you or someone else is sick I’m not staying around if that person gets sick in front of me. Haven’t had that happen before. I can deal with being in the same room with someone who is sick, just can’t be in the same room when they’re actively being sick. And this all depends. If you have the stomach virus, this changes. If you have the stomach virus stay the h*ll away from me lol. If it’s not the stomach virus for some reason in my mind I think that I’ll be less likely to catch it.
  3. Again, if you’re sick, don’t touch me, don’t touch my things, don’t hand me things, don’t ask to come over… etc… Just stay the h*ll away from me lol. Don’t be offended when I avoid you. Because I will. Unless I have to be around you, but in that case I will only do so if I know you’re not going to get sick in front of me and you don’t have the stomach virus.
    I once had a teacher who was sick who came in, she didn’t get sick in front of me but she did say that she was fighting it. But I was confident that she wouldn’t get sick in front of me (ish). But that was still a lot…

So yeah, those are my three big things. I don’t like telling people not to talk about it, just to avoid if possible. Like, if you remember great! Don’t talk about it then. If you don’t, it’s fine. I might start talking about my anxiety then and it might help me cope a bit.

You’d be surprised the amount of times I’ve made myself nauseous/anxious because I don’t really know my own boundaries LOL.

Closed due to inactivity