Fake News: How to Protect Young Minds From Lies

With the world as it is and the internet as large as it is, there’s a lot of bad stuff out there, including fake news. So here’s some advice on how to protect yourself from it.

4 Likes

Another Shani’s Tutoring blog, @Bloggers. Do you often fall for fake news?

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (it’s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

6 Likes

I laugh at them.
Some are just very ridiculous-

3 Likes

I probably do-
lemme read :joy:

2 Likes

okay kjsfbvhf it took me a while to read this (i think i’m gonna have to do catch-ups every weekend bc uni)

i’m a naturally inquisitive person so i tend to fact-check most things i’m told (unless it’s like a small fun fact a friend tells me, sometimes bc yeah, i’m not gonna pull up my phone to fact check things in the middle of a conversation y’know?)

still, it is very important to be aware of fake news, not only because of the harm they can cause, but because… knowing things is good? in my opinion? (yes i’m a nerd, i know)

also, i’d like to add that open communication is… generally very important? in children’s and teens development? so what shannii mentions here about communication and honesty… well i think that applies to almost every aspect of raising a kid

adding to that, if a parent believes their kid may be subjected to fake news… this may be controversial but sometimes i think it’s necessary for parents to monitor what their kid does online?
not being a helicopter parent or anything but… knowing what kinds of sites the kid visits and what rhetorics they may be reading can help a lot (i’m saying this as someone who has seen a lot of kids spreading misinformation online because of the lack of communication outside their small circles)

5 Likes

Yeah, because young people can’t think for themselves

While I don’t think this topic is exclusively important for young people, I do agree that it is very important.
It is so easy to believe anything written online, especially when it is written with appropriate confidence. Even if the statement provides no solid evidence and is based entirely on opinion or wishful thinking, should the original poster provide enough emotion and surety into their writing, it’s very easy for anyone to fall prey to it.

Examples of fake news could be as simple as microaggressions and assumptions about minorities, slowly coaxing the general public to believe them. They could also be as large as claims on what some celebrity or another has done recently, without any evidence. H-ll, maybe they created fake evidence just for the purpose of creating drama.

With the onset of deepfakes and advanced editing tools, things like that are very possible. All in all - we need to be a little more cautious about what we look at, because it’s getting steadily harder to determine fact from fiction.

1 Like

Added tag

2 Likes

Ooh interesting

1 Like