Fictional Languages

There are certain book, movies, and shows, especially in the fantasy genre, which features languages that are fictional and are made to fit the fictional setting. There have been a few famous fictional languages such as the Elvish languages by J.R.R Tolkien (from Lord of the Rings), Dothraki by George R.R. Martin and David J. Peterson, and the Na’vi Language by Paul Frommer.

I get attracted by languages like Dothraki and Na’vi, so I really like listening to those languages. I would love to learn them soon when I can get my hands on them.

As a fantasy writer, I find it fun to make my own languages for a certain group in my fictional world. In my mind, it’s because they’re different races so they should grow into the community that they build. I really love worldbuilding, so there’s that too. I actually did research around the internet just for it, beginning with words that I think are primarily useful.

• What fictional languages do you know and like the most?
  • Do you think it’s important in worldbuilding? Why?
  • Have you also “invented” your own language for your fictional setting?
  • If so, can you share your experience with it?

@Writers

10 Likes

Minecraft enchanting table is the only one I can think of atm-

Yess! It’s unrealistic for everyone to speak English, even if it is for the audience to be able to understand it. It also shows the writer put effort into writing the story and building their world, and it’s really fun to learn about.

Plus, inventing a language is fun.

I’m trying, but then there’s procrastination :man_dancing:

1 Like

High Valyrian. Even Duolingo gives the option to learn it :heart_eyes:

I tried making a fictional language of my own, but failed because I ran out of inspiration. It was a mix of Hindi, Bengali and a tinge of Sanskrit dialects.

3 Likes

yes :star_struck:

1 Like

I only know the Elvish from Lord of the Rings, and I would consider parseltongue from Harry Potter a language as well even though we don’t really get to know any words how it’s spoken from the books.

It can be important and complete the world, but also make it unnecessarily hard. Both for the writer and reader.

I have. It was interesting and fun cause you really go down to the core of how language is formed. However, I barely made my characters actually speak that language, it was more an experiment for myself :joy:

1 Like

The ones I create :kissing_smiling_eyes: :hocho:

Yes it is! When writing fantasy, it is unbelievable that all creatures that are not human know fluent english or something. If Humans can have their own language why can’t other creatures?

I have done it multiple times. I love creating other languages.

It was fun writing my own language, I could make grammatical errors in english and lie that it is part of my fictional language :joy:

1 Like

One of the ones I personally find interesting is Klingon.

It’s important to think about how the beings in your world communicate, and to what depth you want to build your world.

I haven’t, but It would be awesome

1 Like

Funny since I’m creating a fictional language, grammar rules + everything

High Valyrian from Game of Thrones :sneezing_face::sneezing_face::sneezing_face: There’s a duolingo course on it :star_struck::star_struck: I tried taking it but ended up giving up because I didn’t have a lot of free time

i find them annoying when reading but theyre fun to make!! sometimes

I don’t really know any to name but a few of the ones you mentioned are definite favourites

If you’re building a fantasy world, then definitely. At least, if it’s a large fantasy world. It’s unrealistic to create a huge world with loads of countries, and to expect them all to speak the same language and have the same culture

No, but I hope to at some point for my current wip, as they really interest me and I love the idea of creating one.
I have tried to in the past, rarely with success XD

@Writers Do you have anything to add to this?

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity